cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

password protected areas of my webspace not working !

N/A

Cry I have followed the instructions provided by Plusnet for adding password protection to part of my webspace - having checked and checked again all of my coding, any attempt at logging in results in failure !

All suggestions gratefully recieved

Rob
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can you post the 2 files you are using (.htaccess & .htpasswd) so we can check you have the info correct and also state where they were uploaded to, including the server (cgi or www).

Or send me a PM with the details if you dont want to post it here and I'll take a look.
N/A

Sorted?

I have followed the instructions provided by Plusnet for adding password protection to part of my webspace - having checked and checked again all of my coding, any attempt at logging in results in failure !

Did you get this resolved in the end? I am having the same problem - I have set up the .htaccess and .htpasswd files, yet each attempt at authentication fails.
N/A

The same applies here, can you post the contents of your .htaccess file (in full) along with your .htpasswd file (changed where needed, but make sure the encoded password is valid).
N/A

Hi, I have same issue. I've set-up the .htaccess and .htpasswd files but only get Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Anyone help?
N/A

This can happen if you are nor providing the correct location of your password file, or if your password file is not in the correct format.
N/A

thanks for the info.

Maybe you could onfirm my understanding on the use of the .htaccess and .htpasswd files?

I have set up a directory /htdocs/austin and in the austin directory placed the .htaccess and .htpasswd files. I've encoded the passwords using many different sites since I wondered if the password encoding was incorrect. When trying to access this directory from my website link the login is displayed but will not get any further than that.

this is what i have in the .htaccess file;

AuthUserFile /share/isp/plus/www/aj/ajholloway.plus.com/htdocs/austin/.htpasswd
AuthName "Please Log On"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

can you see any issues with this? or maybe provide me with a discription of a good password file i can try to make sure its not the way i'm generating that. I've tried many password files and have noted on the web that some people say a return line has to be put on the end of the password line etc.

any help appreciated. Adrian
N/A

I havn't checked what you have for the .htaccess file, however, you can generate .htpasswd files using the tool available on the usertools website.

It can be used to import existing htpasswd files and edit them, or create new ones.

Follow the simple instructions, and it will provide you with the needed output to put in your file.
N/A

I'm no expert, I just followed the instructions on the usertools site, but if it helps, this works for me:

AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/go/gordon5690/htdocs/pwp/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "The other stuff"
AuthType Basic

require valid-user
N/A

Thanks for that working well now, looks like it was where i was pointing to for the password file. I've changed the .htaccess and .htpasswd files so many times to get it working that I don't know if it was a combination of mess ups on my part that was hindering me. Thanks again.
N/A

Smiley Glad to hear you got it working.

Cheers