cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p

N/A

p2p

i upgraded to broadband in the summer of 2005 and currently have a 1mb connection. Browsing speeds were excellent and still are. When i first started using broadband i could get download speeds on p2p of 100kb/s and since october of last year my speed has dropped to 10kb/s if i'm lucky.

I have read other users messages and there seems to be an issue of whether plusnet is blocking certain ports and i know how to change the number of the port, but that's about it. It's nothing to do with my firewall because when i turn it off i still have the same issues.

I am running windows 98 se and i have tried hooking my internet up to another pc with xp, but to no avail. I don't know how to solve this and i'm getting fed of it as other interent users i know on bulldog, bt or aol never have these problems. PLEASE could anyone help because i don't seem to be the only one with this problem.
2 REPLIES
N/A

P2P issues.

Yes, I signed up, with recomendations from a friend who had no P2P issues with them at the time. The sales speal clearly said there were no dload limits. All looked good upfront. I don't think there are blocked ports, as P2P clients can search fine, I think it's more likley to be traffic shaping technology that identifies P2P type traffic and puts the brakes on.
If you do manage to find a work around, they may then cap your speed to 70K peak or 200K off peak, as seems to have happened to mine, indicated by http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_0150.asp. This appears to have happened to me and my work VPN now barely runs. I am thinking about swapping to freedom2surf as at least they allow scheduled offpeak P2P downloads on their £14.99 service. I just hope the salesman who said there would be no final charge for leaving +net if I had my own kit was on the level. My guess is that BT may charge a premium per Gb on their new exchanges, and folk who P2P run at a loss. Only a guess. Seems most DSL customers are in a similar boat.
Community Veteran

p2p

fernelk
You have posted this in two places which will only cause confusion I am locking this thread in favour of the other one on the same subject here