cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p speed

N/A

p2p speed

Is plus net blocking psp such as dc hub bit torrent etc. I get fantastic browsing but if I try to connect to any P2P the speed drops riht down and eventually stops completly when using a router or direct modem to PC. Even changed modemsHuhHuh?
36 REPLIES
N/A

p2p speed

Hi there

Welcome to the forums.

Plus net arent blocking any bt ports. Are you using a default port or have you changed it to somthing else?
N/A

p2p speed

I haveny done anything It used to work fine when I was on cable bt just switched to plus net and as I said, browsing is fine but dc hub and bt a no go as its so slowe. like 400 kb/s when I have a 2 mb connection.
N/A

p2p speed

Yep im getting the same problem here....Nothings been changed my end,but now i am getting a NAT error when trying to connect, so it does look like they are blocking it...... lie after lie..
N/A

p2p speed

@antrobus

Plus Net are not blocking any BT ports. If you are getting a NAT error it will be caused by somthing your end.

Comments like those in the last line of your post are not constructive, accurate or helpful. Plese keep disccussions constructive. Smiley
N/A

p2p speed

Well it seems or so I am told that Plus net "Throttle" P2P unless you have a premimum account. So I have upgrade and now no problems
N/A

p2p speed

I am experiencing the same issues and after using a tool called Shields UP! have proven to myself that PN are port blocking all but ports 6881 and 6882. Give it a go yourselves....

You can find the free online tool her https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
N/A

p2p speed

Can you explain how Sheild up has proved this to you? All it does is test your ports if your router or firewall block it you will get the same error so how have you proved it?

I have used P2P for years with no problems so is just you they are blocking?
N/A

p2p speed

PN only block a small number of ports and none with the range that your discussing. From memory they block 135 and 445, this list may be slight expanded.

Since 6881 - 6889 are now very popular, many trackers actually block these ports by default since it's widly known that some ISPs (NOT PN) block these ports. My best suggestion is to change the default port from 6881 to some random that is above 1056.

As for the shields up test, that doesn't prove anything, and if your using a firewall or router this would natural block anything incoming to this port, unless you port forward it.

Finally NAT errors are nearly always local errors, normally an indication that the required port isn't being forwarded or being block by your local firewall in someway.
N/A

p2p speed

Can you explain how Sheild up has proved this to you? All it does is test your ports if your router or firewall block it you will get the same error so how have you proved it?

I have used P2P for years with no problems so is just you they are blocking?

Ahh steve (I am ace i know everything) gibson, I would not put much faith in what he says he does tend to only tell half a story and mostly that half is wrong....
N/A

p2p speed

"Shields up" scans your pc (or in this case router) for open ports, plusnets system shouldnt have any effect on this

Your best bet is to go into your router config (mine is services) and open a port (i use 65532), set up any necessary router rules to make this ports trsaffic be forwarded to your pc, reboot the router and then set your torrent client to use that port

You should have a "pathway" now

as far as plusnet lying, they have openly admitted they are not the isp for downloading large amounts of bit torrents
N/A

p2p speed

"Shields up" scans your pc (or in this case router) for open ports, plusnets system shouldnt have any effect on this

Hi,

That is not totally accurate since PN do block a number of ports at the edge of their network, 135 and 445. The probes from GRC will not get further than the edge of the PN network.
N/A

p2p speed

My understanding of shields up was that it connected through to your ip address then ran the scans on that IP while connected, if thats not the case then whatever the ISP blocks will have an effect

the best bet is to run local port scanners, that way you can rule out plus net

just had a little read through the shields up site and it mentioned http://www.portdetective.com/

"The "Port Detective" site is checking your system's ports to see whether they are already in use or are accessible and available for use for running Internet servers. Therefore, when they say the port is "open", what they really mean is that it's available and accessible from the Internet. But from this site's perspective, this means that the port is currently closed since there's no server running behind it holding it open! "

That will at least rule out the machine end, then it should just be a case of checking the routers settings, as stated in my previous post
N/A

p2p speed

Plusnet are definetly throttling my p2p activities for the past week ive been getting max 6kbs up or down in the day then at 12.00 am things start to speed up untill the morning when things slow down again, im on a premier account so what the hell is going on.
N/A

p2p speed

Exactly the same with me Tsunami, and im getting really P***ed off Evil Could someone explain please?