cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nightmare ftp webspace

N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

over the last few weeks i have continually asked for help from plusnet support over my webspace. I have three accounts and all are unusable because of the problems. Im told nobody else has complained so it cant be them. So here are my problems and if anybody else is experiencing the same please post here.
the problems relates to uploading multiple files, at least 10 or more. When trying to overwrite i am continually booted from the server. I also get an error saying there are too many current connections and i cant connect. After managing to overwrite, which is rare, i find many files have not uploaded completly with information missing from the end of the file. If i try to logon to the proxy server i cant logon at all. Am i alone in these problems?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

nightmare ftp webspace

Are you dailled into PlusNet or are you using another ISP? The proxy will only work if you are connected to PlusNet directly.

Chris
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

thank you. you are the first person to point out i need to be dialed into the proxy. No i have been on bt adsl, which i understand is whole lot faster than adsl at plusnet, but thats another topic i guess. :lol:
Community Veteran

nightmare ftp webspace

Rarely have a problem with my ADSL I must say.

Have you tried enabling or disabling PASV mode? I know changing this can make an imprtovment in some cases, also perhaps trying a different FTP client just to rule out the possibilities of it being an issue.

Chris
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

believe it or not ive tried 11 different clients. the problem is with plusnet, im just amazed nobody else has reported it, i guess its just a matter of time since the problem is getting worse and i now see it on all my sites, not just the large one.
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

I would guess this is a problem with you FTP client. I have >40 files on my web site and can upload the lot without complaint (WS_FTP_LE).
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

no, it is not a problem with my client with is the pro version of yours. I have also tried with a dozen other programs. The issue was never addressed by plusnet despite it being a paid for service. They actually didnt help at all. I was simply advised to setup my own server. Hows that for a buisness account? Pay for hosting and when it proves to be useless you are advised to setup your own server. amazing. I have since moved to a proffessional host.
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

<snip>Pay for hosting <snip>

But isn't it the services as an ISP that you pay for - Web hosting et. al. are just 'added value' incidentals aren't they :?:
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

Unless you are paying extra for the Communications package then yes, it is just an added bonus.
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

I am suffering from this problem.

matt
csogilvie
Grafter

nightmare ftp webspace

Have you tried using ftp-proxy.plus.net to upload to?
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

I'm not at home so I can't. Sad

I'm at work accessing it from here. It stalls almost every upload. I'm doing four files (very small gif and html files) at a time and it's not having any of it.

matt
N/A

Re: nightmare ftp webspace

I also get an error saying there are too many current connections and i cant connect.

I imagine if your getting that error then your using a client such as cuteftp pro, WS_FTP etc that spawns simultaneous connections.. In fact it is actually the same as connecting to the ftp server several times over. The majority of ftp servers wont allow this as your going to slaughter their bandwidth or make it think your performing a bounce attack on it. FTP accounts usually have a limit on multiple logins, although i couldnt say what plus.net is set to.

Ive used flashfxp to upload hundreds of files simultanesouly with no problems at all.. Try setting your client to use just one thread.

As for cutting off files, have you made sure your client is set to automatically determine the file type.. ie binary or ascii?
N/A

nightmare ftp webspace

I've had this problem and connecting to the proxy server has solved it but if you want to use the cgi server then you are going to have the same problem and there isn't a proxy server for this.

I started a thread on this before xmas and someone suggested that it might be a problem with firewall settings but I didn't get any info beyond that. Based on this and the fact that you're using broadband as well, then maybe you have a similar problem. I assume its down to the inbuilt firewall in my ADSL Router as disabling my software firewall has no effect on the problem.