cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newsgroup settings

N/A

newsgroup settings

could be i'm in the wrong forum but here goes.

need to connect with an alt. binaries newsgroup. but cannot configure oe6 to accept them using the usenet settings posted on this site.

solution please
andy
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

newsgroup settings

What plusnet package are you using?. Some restrict access to binary newsgoups like Home Surf and Biz surf (these are old products but they still exist).

You don't require authentication with the plusnet usenet servers in case you were trying to do this.

this plusnet help pages explains how to setup OE6.
N/A

newsgroup settings

adsl homesurf
set up two accounts as in step 5 using news.plus.net and usenet.plus.net. both with same results when step 6 undertaken. (no binaries groups downloaded.)

are you telling me i need to change my account (and therefore get charged more for very little extra?) just to be able to read news groups?
Community Veteran

newsgroup settings

Homesurf was sold as a limited product in terms of p2p and newsgroup access (text newsgroups only) which was clearly stated in the product features at the time - I know this because I am on homesurf myself. It was becase of this restrictuon that it was sold at £18.99, £3 cheaper than tha ADSL home 512K product which did have p2p & binary newsgroup access.

If you want access to binary newsgroups you will have to upgrade to one of the broadband home products.
N/A

newsgroup settings

looks like some stupid ***** got advised incorrectly then Evil
time to remove the genitalia from my brother in law with a hacksaw!!!! :twisted:
suppose its time to get out the credit card and hope "er indoors" doesn't get to the bill before i've paid it !!!! Smiley

thanks for your time