cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie looking for help

N/A

newbie looking for help

right, been looking quickly thru the forum, and am after some quick advice as to what I need

currently on the free evenings and weekend call option with BT(option 2??), but finding my bills are still quite high

what options do I have with the VOIP thing? looking for anytime coverage, and cheaper calls to mobiles, all calls to the uk

also want a handset, just to make it easier for everyone in the house

seen loads of posts about voipcheap etc, and unsure which one would be best

thanx

RK
14 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

newbie looking for help

Hi,

PlusTalk Anytime is £4.99 per month for inclusive landline calls (01 and 02) at anytime. Mobile call prices vary depending on time of day, the list is at

http://portal.plus.net/residential/voice/plustalk.shtml

under PlusTalk Tariff.

There's a couple of phones in the PlusNet Shop

http://shop.plus.net/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=24&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1
N/A

newbie looking for help

hi

how long is the cord on the phone?

is there any way I could use a normal DECT phone via an adaptor?Huh
psk10
Grafter

Try These

N/A

newbie looking for help

www.sipdiscount.com

and all landline 01 and 02 calls are £0.00 per month at any time but don't expect any customer support from them as this one of the ways they can offer you this deal ..

use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) so you can use an ordinary DECT phone with the service and make sure you get one with PSTN pass-through so you don't have to get people to ring you on 0845 numbers and you can still use your existing PSTN service if needs be (I still do for mobiles as its cheaper - sipdiscount is 18p per min)

I reccommend something like the Grandstream Handytone 488 etc.

Hope this helps
N/A

newbie looking for help

with things like sipdiscount, do u have to sign up to the plus talk package as well?Huh
N/A

newbie looking for help

No, you don't need to sign up with plustalk at all.

Also, you can use any SIP provider you like independent of what ISP you are with. Plustalk and sipdiscount are examples of a SIP provider and this is basically the VOIP company you are using as opposed to an analogue PSTN provider like BT.

When you place a call you are basically using the ATA to place a call using the broadband service provided by your ISP which in turn connects to your SIP provider. The SIP provider then routes the calls to other users on VOIP or back onto the PSTN network.

Note that when placing a call this way you are completely bypassing your analogue service. However, getting an ATA with PSTN pass-through means that you will still be able to receive calls coming in through your ordinary phone line and also make outgoing calls if required.

In the event of a power failure, you will also be able to still make emergency calls if you have PSTN passthrough.

It is possible with some ATAs to set up several accounts with different SIP providers so you can select which one is cheapest for you and you may notice that some people use plustalk AND sipdiscount.

The device I mentioned does not support this however.

Hope this simplifies things a bit for you as there is a lot of confusing info regarding VOIP in these early stages.
N/A

newbie looking for help

right, it says u need to buy a 10 euro credit to start using it beyond the 1min free trial bit - is there a time limit on the credit, or does it just run and run?Huh
N/A

newbie looking for help

it just runs and runs as far as I know...because I only usually dial landline numbers I still have plenty of credit left from when I signed up and haven't needed to top up the account yet
N/A

newbie looking for help

ah cool

thats what I'll be using it for mainly anyway!!

just need to get the phone now from somewhere - ebay here I come!
N/A

newbie looking for help

just go for any ordinary DECT phone - the ATA will turn this into a VOIP phone. Cordless dedicated VOIP phones are few and far between and are quite expensive plus you won't be able to use analogue service
N/A

newbie looking for help

right, managed to grab a couple of voip phones from tesco(work there u see, and they have just launched their own voip service), and tried using the voipcheap service with the free minute trial calls, and it works fine for me

so I decided to pay for £10 credit so I could make longer calls, but when trying this using paypal, it says that they cannot accept any more money...

any ideas why>?? are they having probs?? or is it just far too much money in their account?? :p
N/A

newbie looking for help

I signed up for VoIPCheap which is one of several similar services like sipdiscount. I did not use it for any paid calls and my credit expired 6 months to the day. To make any free calls other than pc to pc it said I had to make another payment.
N/A

newbie looking for help

6 months I can live with!!

still far cheaper than bt!! :p
N/A

ATA with PSTN pass-through & DECT

However, getting an ATA with PSTN pass-through means that you will still be able to receive calls coming in through your ordinary phone line and also make outgoing calls if required.

Two easy questions! Supposing you do use a DECT phone and an ATA with PSTN pass-through....
1. How do you 'select' the line (i.e. choose between VOIP & PSTN) for an outgoing call?
2. Are there any special/useful features to look for in choosing the make/model of DECT phone?