cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new xp sp2 firewall any good?

nogginthenog
Grafter

is the new security features in sp2,especially the firewall any good, or would i be better off with a seperate firewall such as zone alarm.Any comments wopuld be appreciated :roll:
10 REPLIES
N/A

I think I read somewhere that there's not much really 'new' about the firewall, other than it's on by default in SP2. I'd always recommend a third party firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) instead though, since it's bound to be more configurable and reliable.
N/A

SP2s firewall is drasticaly better than the one in SP1 however.. it it does not moniter outgoing requests so u can still get infeceted by a load of crap, so a 3rd party one is recomended.. but NOT za.. try sygate personal firewall or kiro

buz
N/A

They have enhanced the firewall and given easier access to the firewall. It now controls which software is actually allowed to run, but it still has no controls on outbound traffic. Which means it a trojan/virus or spyware can still send data onto the net.

Your better off getting a third party firewall, zone alarm is good but go for version 4.5 not version 5.0. Sygate is very good and Kerio is also good. All are free and easy to use Cheesy

I'm using Kerio at the moment, so if you want any more information, or setup advice then PM me.

Aaron
nogginthenog
Grafter

Thanks very much for the advice. i have downloaded kerio will give it a try!
N/A

fine copy what i said *hits gadget* AND THEN TO FINISH IT ALL HE CHOOSES KIRO!!! bleh.. thats just unfair *sulks*
N/A

lol, sorry Buz , must have been a cross over Wink
nogginthenog
Grafter

ditched using kerio not very user friendly now using sygate and it seems to be much more user friendly and better supported. many thanks for your help
N/A

I've not tried Sygate, but I've heard it's good. Kerio is very easy to use and I'd say pretty user friendly.

Hope you get on better with sygate Cheesy
N/A

buzzons : 1
gadget : 0

buzzons is t3h winner
N/A

ditched using kerio not very user friendly

Interested in what you did not find user friendly.I have been using it for about 3 years now,and the only time I know it is there and doing it's job is when I occasionally go in and clear the log,and have a quick look at what has been trying to get in.

Ian & Linda Jordan