cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

needs

N/A

needs

Basically can some one please tell me in plain english just what i need to make and recieve calls useing my BB connection , I ahve installe d the software as recommended, but not sure what adaptor or if i need a new telephone , please im not into all this new tech . but want too take advantage of plustalk, many thanks , Antony
1 REPLY
N/A

needs

Hi,
You only need a microphone & speaker (eg headset) in order to make voip (ie internet based) calls from your pc (eg using x-lite software).
You can dial other voip users for free or pay the plustalk rates for calls to landlines. You can only call landlines once you have added some money to your plustalk account.
People from anywhere in the world using voip can call you while you are using x-lite by dialling your plustalk number.
All the above assumes that whenever you want to make or receive calls you will have your pc turned on.
If you want to be able to use an ordinary telephone to make and receive voip calls when your pc is off then you will need some kind of adapter.
Some people will already have a ADSL modem and router which keep you connected to your isp (eg plusnet) even when your pc is off. It is possible to buy a voip ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) which will connect to your router and your normal analogue telephone socket and your normal telephone. You can set the ATA up so that calls can either go out by voip or the normal telephone line depending on the number dialled or a prefix eg dial 9 first to route calls via voip. People can also call you using voip or normal analogue line and you can answer the call with your normal telephone.
If you don't have a router already then it is possible to buy a voip router which will do the job of router and voip ATA in one box. Or you can get a voip-modem-router which has a modem too.
Hope this helps a bit.