cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my website

N/A

my website

ok i have my site up and running
so how can i put it in to the browser network so people can search and find what they want from it :?:
site is telmal.co.uk
17 REPLIES
N/A

my website

Do you mean sites like google etc?
the_norris
Grafter

my website

HI telmal

Had a look at your site - just keeps reloading its self all the time. I'm using Firefox broswer.

But under IE - works ok.

Phil
N/A

my website

yes any searchengins like google please

no idea why it seems ok with internet explorer but its my first site and im new any info you could give me as to why would be nice i am using dreamweaver to build the site
is firefox a lynux browser
N/A

my website

HI telmal

Had a look at your site - just keeps reloading its self all the time. I'm using Firefox broswer.

But under IE - works ok.

Phil

Am getting the same thing here also, works fine in IE, VERY nice site btw

The fish are nice also, you heard of a couple of guys called Peter and Tim Waddington by any chance?
N/A

my website

is firefox a lynux browser
You've not heard of the glory that is Firefox?! Oh my... http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ <- get it from there.

Oh and remove
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="; url=http://telmal.co.uk/">
to stop the refresh. Don't need it there anyway.
N/A

fixed it

it seems when i put the site on to the search engin META as requested by the plusnet site i was instructed to copy info on to the index page whith this removed it loads on firefox ok
so it looks like i did somthing wrong there
here is what i added

<META name="title" content="pond">
<META name="description" content="building a pond and avery">
<META name="keywords" content="pond fish avery birds">
<META name="owner" content="telb@telmal.co.uk">
<META name="author" content="terry burns">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-LANGUAGE" CONTENT="English">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="VW96.OBJECT TYPE" CONTENT="Homepage">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CHARSET" CONTENT="ISO-8859-1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" content="Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:00:01 GMT">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="; url=http://telmal.co.uk/">
<META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 month">
<META NAME="RATING" CONTENT="14 years">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="follow,index">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL">

<title>index</title>
<meta name="description" content="Insert Description Here">
<meta name="keywords" content="Insert Keywords Here">
Community Veteran

my website

The line <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="; url=http://telmal.co.uk/"> is what is causing the reloading.
Remove that and all should be OK.
N/A

my website

Excessive meta tagging, you could really simplify it and just go with this for the entire header up to the <body> tag

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Fish and Birds!</title>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<meta name="description" content="building a pond and avery" />
<meta name="keywords" content="pond fish avery birds" />
</head>
<body>

Beyond that most meta tags are ignored except for a tiny percentage (something absurd like 0.1%) and then they're not bothered about. Language can be worked out by most browsers and search engines, author etc should just got in the footer of the page, they're pretty much dead in the water in the meta tags, forcing expiration of your page prevents people viewing it offline (not good), by default "robots" (search engines) do what you've specified there anyway.....

....I've lowercased it and added the / at the end of the meta tags because it's tidier and will start you on the way to tidier HTML (read: move towards xHTML). May as well start in the best way so you never pick up those bad starting habits people get!

On a side note this got me wondering how +net work...I was horrified to see HTML with a mix of lower and upper case and values in HTML tags without quotation marks! Nothing major really :p Just I'm picky about HTML and like consistency.
Community Veteran

my website

Beyond that most meta tags are ignored except for a tiny percentage (something absurd like 0.1%) and then they're not bothered about.

This is very true.
The days of having to insert all these META tags are numbered and the search robots these days go off the site content.
I have very view META tags on my Model Railway site and it still gets a pretty good ranking with most search engines.
N/A

my website

Some search engines use the description to summarise your webpage still but its rank is determined by the content and the number of other sites that link to you that it knows about and their rank....Google has a very complex system which is why it often gets the thing you want with pretty decent accuracy because of this whole content querying system....

...to sum up though they're there purely for reference, search engines will not use them to rate your page and there are very few left that actually every display their contents to the searcher.
N/A

my website

thanks for the info ill copy and paste the header info in and see what i get
as far as the rest of the info went WOOOOOSH straight over my head
however i am learning more and more day by day so 1 day i may look at this and smile Shockedops:

once again thanks to everyone for there help Cool
N/A

firefox

Tongue Well I have just spent the day making the site Firefox friendly, took a while every time I thought I had it right id check internet explorer and it would be out there
Seems they use different fonts as default Tongue
N/A

my website

I'd highly recommend working with Firefox to build it (and working to xHTML Transitional standards - easy to do) then getting it to work happily with IE. Firefox follows the W3C standards correctly whereas IE loves to waiver them as it sees fit. It's easier to do Firefox then IE than IE than Firefox.
N/A

xhtml

i tried to convert the pages to xHTML with dreamweave pages are ok in firefox but in explorer i am geting a space in the joint of the picture top left of the site tried setting all cell padding and spacing to 0 but still have the problem
do you have any ideas why :?: