cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my first web page help

N/A

my first web page help

Shockedops: hi
have made a very simple home page written in html saved it and checked it with browser all fine.
set up ftp program as per plusnet instructions upload file all seems to have worked....
run explorer put in www.username.plus.com only to find standard plusnet page help.

have been pulling my hair out been over the web nightmare just need the simple answer where am i going wrong
thanks if u can help... Cheesy
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

my first web page help

What did you call the html file and where did you upload it to. It must go in the htdocs directory..

To be picked up by default when you don't specify an htlm file in the browser url it must be called index.html or index.htm.

You may have to wait 30 mins after uploading so PlusNets webcache picks up the file.
N/A

my first web page help

named it index.htm
uploaded it to htdocs

never waited 30 mins will let u know ops
Community Veteran

my first web page help

Can you acces it as www.username.plus.com/index.htm
N/A

my first web page help

yes to that
N/A

my first web page help

I can access it (00:25am), what few lines there are.
Delay must be in caching.
Community Veteran

my first web page help

Then it will likely be the webcache that has not got your new page yet - so be patient and it should appear soon. Note: updates to the page may not be seen immediately either.

The webcache is a temp measure to help overcome the problems with PlusNets overloaded disk sub-systems. It will hopefully be removed later next week.
N/A

my first web page help

so why does it only pick up the page with the /index.htm
i was under the impression u didnt need it there...
Community Veteran

my first web page help

As I explained above, it's PlusNets web cache which stores pages and serves them from it's internal memory rather than actually getting the page from your webspace. This is to reduce the load on the disk subsystem where homepages files are stored. When you update your website the cache does not automatically pick up the changes. Pages in the webcache have a defined life, once that period of time expires a request for a web page will actually be made to your webspace rather from the cache memory at which time you new changes will be seen.

There have been problems with the webcache and page updates by members and it does not appear to work in all cases.
N/A

my first web page help

so is the answer to wait and c
then to carry on learning the skills needed to build a web page..
thanks..