cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my download has gone out of the roof and i'm not downloading

N/A

I'm so frustrated. I must have all the free virus, trojan etc downloads, but I still cannot get rid of all my virus'. It has totally slowed down my broadband (half the dial up speed and actually pay for superquick). whatever I have got on my system has disabled my norton and I cannot get it back! and although I have never downloaded loads (less than 2g a month) I am so far over 5g!!!!! This is definately not my doing. I am not technically minded but would love some help.

Things I have tried are Spybot S & D, Adaware, Antivir, Microtrend, Norton the list goes on!!!!!!
15 REPLIES
janitor
Grafter

Have you tried another anti virus such AGV or avast both do a free version, AGV is www.grisoft.com you wnat the free version not the paid for one, and cant remember the avast one . Maybe that will sort it out.
N/A

Also remember if you are running XP or ME to turn off system restore before removing any virii or malware. These things have a nasty habit of residing within system restore only to reinfect your system when you think it has been cleaned.
N/A

Thanks for quick response. Just downloaded and ran AVG. It did find things such as the IRC.Backdoor and a few other things. It deleted about 5 things and the rest it said was embedded!! Now it won't even let me run it again. As soon as I dble click to bring the programe up it shuts it off!!!!! Obviously does'nt like being threatened! Which reminds me It doesn't even let me go into my registry files.
janitor
Grafter

Have you tried switching off system restore as pcsni has said then reboot try antivrus again thenonce all is clear remember to turn system restore back on again.
N/A

Have a read at this tutorial by Peter.

It contains some excellent advice and more aptly, links to some online scanning apps or tools.

Well worth a read.
N/A

Thanks for that I have read this as you suggested and it soes sound good. Starting to use some of the links now. BUT can someone explain to me why, when I have run scans by recommendation ( good links) and they find all the trojans, viri etc, why oh why are they unable to actually remove themHuh
System restore is off and pretty much is these days cause I've not been able to get the system clean!!!!!! SO FRUSTRATING, THE COMPUTER WILL BE GOING IN THE BIN!!!!!!!
Community Veteran

Nah, no need for that I'm sure someone can send you a copy of linux to install instead. Or if you have your windows disks you can re-install that. The trouble is I bet if your anything like me you've not got backups...

Edit: thought I'd better make myself clearer I was only responding to the remark about binning the PC there is need to do those links and AV stuff. Hope you get sorted ;-)
Alecto
Grafter

Sounds like the easiest thing is to do a clean reinstall of windows. A pain, but will probably be quicker and less stressful than messing about for the next week.
N/A

I think a full reinstall is prob the best solution too. (short of the bin thing!!!!) Does anybody have any suggestions what products to install after though to protect my system (Free products of course) cus I don't want to have to go through this again! Are products such as adaware and spybot s& d really good. Although I have these installed now it seems a little too late!
N/A

Hi there,

That is probably your best course of action.

As for Security software, any of Peters recommendations would be superb. I, personally, would recommend AVG, Zone Alarm free, Spy Bot S&D and Microsoft Anti spyware, which by all accounts is knocking the socks off adaware at the moment.

Others, no doubt, will have different opinions, but for me, the above products keep me well covered.
N/A

thanks for that pcsni, I'll keep that in mind when I get this thing sorted. Sad Cheesy
N/A

if you install

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

it will stop anything starting up without your permision so it stop 99% of spyware etc and its FREE
N/A

If you haven't already) For an online scanner that actually removes viruses etc. try Housecall, if it cannot disinfect you can press the delete button on this prog..
First though try ;
CWShredder
Then STINGER, (antivirus, very quick to scan)
A2, make sure you get the free one
Also a free 30 day trial of EWIDO (very thorough programme).
I suggest that you press ctrl+alt+del and look at your processes and check suspicious ones out on google to see if they are viruses or bona fide progs. then find the tool on the symantec site and remove it.

Once clean use as previously suggested the microsoft antispyware and Spyware Guard
and of course continue with spybot and adaware.
I hope this helps.
The microsoft mailcious thingy remover is Here
I keep a list of good free progs & advice on www.toorisky.co.uk on the computer tips page.
N/A

finally fixed it!!!!! fingers crossed!!!!!!

Thanks to the info given by blubellhouse I seem to have totally cleared my PC of nasties. I downloaded the free trial of EWIDO, o.k it took some time sweep but that just showed how thorough it was. it found LOADS if Irc stuff along with many others and did actually get rid of them, which seemed to be the problem with all other programmes i'd tried. So for the past few days I have been virus free etc and my broadband speed is right back up there. So if any body is really struggling to clean up there PC definately try EWIDO.

THANKS BLUEBELLHOUSE.