cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

msnnews.microsoft.com

N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

Hi, anyone else having a problem accessing these newsgroups through OE, won't connect to the server.....
Chris
12 REPLIES
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

Can I ask what account type you are on.

The Home Surf account blocks news server access. Though depending on the feed, PlusNet may unblock it.
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

Hallo acarr, I'm on ADSL.
Chris
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

Which of the ADSL products are you on however?

There are several available from Home, HomeSurf, Easystart, Office, HomeWorker.
Community Veteran

msnnews.microsoft.com

ADSL what? Home, Home surf, Easystart etc

Newsgroup access is different depending on the product you are using.

acarr, ADSL Home surf does have newsgroup access but not the binary groups. Ttext based newsgroups only according to the blurb.
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

I beleive it is text based access to the PlusNet one.

PlusNet monitor access to news servers, so may well have removed it based on that.

This is all based on a case around June last year, where access to one server sudenly stopped. It was down to this detection and block process. The block was removed when it was confirmed as low volume.

Infact, the news server in question was news.linuxfromscratch.org. I still have it in my news reader from that occasion.
Community Veteran

msnnews.microsoft.com

Is msnnews.microsoft.com the name of a news server or the name of a newsgroup. If it's a newsgroup, I cannot see it in the list I get and I'm on ADSL home surf.
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

Hi, I'm on Homesurf, but if it is blocked I fail to see why as it is a text only technical help service provided by microsoft, I use it in my job....
Chris
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

I can't find it listed as a news group, and it doesn't function as a news server. I'm on ADSL Home 500 (no newgroup restrictions).
csogilvie
Grafter

msnnews.microsoft.com

Its msnews.microsoft.com not msnnews.microsoft.com Smiley
Community Veteran

msnnews.microsoft.com

Yep, I can now access the msnews.microsoft.com news server and groups within it on ADSL Home surf using Xnews newsreader and OE6.
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

Thanks Peter, I'm at work at the moment, I'll give it a go later on when I get home. It has worked before just over the past couple of days it's been hit and miss, mostly miss. I'm thinking that if it works it might be due to dos attacks on MS's servers.....
Chris
N/A

msnnews.microsoft.com

Hi, just checked and it worked fine, must have been a temporary glinch. Thanks all for your help.....
Chris