cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem/router with firewall

N/A

Hi All,

We are about to purchase a Netgear dg834 with firewall for broadband (as soon as its confirmed that we can definitely get it here). Do I also need to have a firewall installed on the computers which access the net or will the one on the router be enough. Currently the two computers that we have both use Zone Alarm - should I leave it on or should it be deleted?

Thanks

Tracey.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Best to use a software FW, even if your router is running in Nat or Napt. If you forward any ports then it's vunerable. Plus most Software firewalls tell you of Outgoing traffic as well, which your router cant do anything about. So if you get a trojan and get unexpected outgoing traffic you wouldn't be the wiser with No software FW.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Thanks for the reply adp450 - it's much appreciated.

Just one other query (I know I'm a pain!!) - do you know if you have to take the old modem out of the computer if you are installing broadband or do you just leave it alone?

I'm trying to get all the odd questions out of the way before the equipment arrives so I can concentrate on networking three together - never done anything like it before so should be fun :?

Thanks again

Tracey
N/A

you dont HAVE to take the modem out of the computer, but if you have a winmodem that is a "software" modem it will free up processing power and also if you remove it youll free up IRQ's etc. So basically.. if you deffinately dont need it anymore i would, but it wont hurt if you dont.

Secondly, it may save you a bit of time wondering, but for ease of installation i would remove zonealarm, install your router, then re-install zonealarm if you desire. Be careful as you may be vunerable whilst you do this, but zonealarm in my experience got really fussy about discovering new network adapters and routes etc.
N/A

Thanks for the advice Zebbedi, I'll make sure I do that with Zone alarm

Best wishes

Tracey
N/A

The hardware firewall will only protect you against attacks from the Internet a software firewall will control the flow of info. from your PC to the internet from various softwares on your PC.

So i sugeest that you leave both on but update the Software firewall and Hardware Firmware when you get it
N/A

The hardware firewall will only protect you against attacks from the Internet a software firewall will control the flow of info. from your PC to the internet from various softwares on your PC.

I think there's some confusion between NAT and firewalls. NAT will only protect you from attacks from the internet, and even then only partly. NAT shares your single public IP address between a number of private IP addresses that are not visible on the Internet. It's not designed as a security measure.

A hardware firewall will provide exactly the same protection as a software firewall. My router (Vigor 2600), for example, can filter incoming and outgoing traffic and even claims to help protect against a DoS attack.

Virtually all ADSL routers provide NAT support, many do not have a firewall.

In answer to the original question, you should leave Zone Alarm enable whether the DG834 has a firewall or not. Two levels of protection are better than one.

--> Stephen
N/A

I have to agree with the rest - leave Zone Alarm on. I have the DG834 and whereas it works perfectly and is veryeasy to set up, I dont have a lot of confidence in their firewall. I was playing Unreal against my brother, with his IP address as a single allowed address in the router configuration, but Zone Alarm was blocking hundreds of other attempted connections, and in order for it to do that they had to be able to get through the router. :?: :?: