cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mobile connect

N/A

mobile connect

When I try to connect to plusnet via my mobile (p900) using the mobile number (using dial-up rather than gprs) the mobile connects, but packets are never sent or recieved. If, however, I use the local rate non bt number my mobile can connect and use the internet normally. My question is whether it is alright for me to use the local rate number on my mobile or whether this is breaching any rules (the mobile access number must be there for a reason..)?

fini
4 REPLIES
N/A

mobile connect

Who's rules are you thinking of? Your mobile company are the ones that will charge you for the service, if they weren't happy they's wouldn't connect you. You need to watch whether you actually charged at a local rate cost or your normal rate.

If your GRPS isn't working, then you need to re-visit the setup. I've got a T68i and I've used GPRS for e-mail in the past.

Aaron
N/A

mobile connect

GPRS is working, but expensive and, as I have free minutes, I figured dial up would essentially give me free internet on my mobile.

I'm talking about plusnet's rules rather than my mobile operators. Presumably the local rate number wasn't designed for mobiles - that's what the Mobile Access number's there for.
N/A

mobile connect

I would imagine the mobile rate number is there because not all mobile companies allow BT local rate number to be dialed.
N/A

mobile connect

0845 is Lo-call, and not local rate.

On most companies, the tarrifs between Lo-call and local area numbers are the same, however, there definition is different.

The main reason for this, is that they don't get included in inclusive mins.

Check with your mobile provider that they do. If need be, I advise asking for a full tarrif sheet, which whilst garbled to many (need a degree to read them), will exaplain where many agents fail.

I did read that one of the Sony phone had problems connecting to some service providers, due to compression or some other connection level setting. I suggest checking your settings, which may be causing your transfer issues.