Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

microfilters!

N/A

microfilters!

Hello all

Right, bit of a problem.

I can't use my broadband and phone at the same time. I have tried loads of different combinations with the microfilters and the outcome is the same.

My router is upstairs and my main socket is downstairs. At the moment I am connected through an extension line up to my room that sky has provided, as you will see in the link to the image.

I have used plusnet's installation guide to come up with the combination in the picture, but it doesn't work. The microfilters are not faulty as I have tried connecting the phone straight through it from the main socket and I can hear a dial tone

Link to setup:

tthe drawing can be seen here (bad drawing!)

My router is connected to the extension lead without the microfilter at the moment, the only way the router will connect to dsl.

I would like some help please as this is kinda frustating Smiley

Thanks alot.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to a more apt part of the forums.
Also converted image to a link as it was stretching the page
12 REPLIES
Sandro
Grafter

microfilters!

The rough guess is that the extention wire provided by the sky has some kind of fault or specifics.
I use the same combination with a very long extention cord - it works OK.

Another problem might be with the router... or the phone... Evil (Sorry)
Community Veteran

microfilters!

Have you looked at the Adsl wiring anf Filter tutorial here ?
N/A

microfilters!

10/10 for the drawing - Cheesy

I may be wrong on this but I'm sure sky only use two wires in there cable -

I I I I <--- 4 wires labled 2 3 4 5 - sky and phone lines use the pins 2/5 and bb 3/4, like I say I could be wrong though.
N/A

microfilters!

well I can connect my router through the sky extension, and also the phone, but not at the same time through the microfilter.

If I plug the microfilter in the extension socket in my room with the phone connected in it then the phone has no dial tone. Does this help?

I'm really confused, I thought this combination would work lol.
prichardson
Grafter

microfilters!

Hi,

All UK phone service, which includes ADSL, use only pins 2 & 5.

Only two of the cables BT provide into your premesis are used, unless you have more than one line via the same cable.

Once into your property, the master socket provides a ring current on ping 3 as well. You don't strictly need this though unless you have phones that require a good current for the ring.

Pin 4 remains unused, but it is always a good thing to wire it up along with pin 3. This creates a balanced line and can reduce the chances of sync loss when your phone rings (ie, it stops cross-talk).

Twisted pair cabling is recomended for the very reason it is built in cable pairs, allowing for line balancing. IE, pins 2/5 on one pair, 3/4 on another.

With regards to the problem itself here, your setup looks OK, but does reflect what you have stated in the text. You say you have a Sky box, but it isn't shown.

You say you hear a dial tone on the phone. This is not enough to say your line is OK. Bear in mind, what the human ear can hear is very limited. ADSL signals are outside of the human hearing range (hence why the two operate on the line at the same time).

So being able to hear a dial tone is nothing conclusive.

Based on the description and the image though, it suggests one of three things.

1: The phone may be thr cause. Have you tried an alternate one?

2: The microfilter is broken. Although you have tried an alternate one, have you tried an alternate brand?

3: The extention cable is the cause. A poor quality cable could put the ADSL signal on the border of service. Lifting the phone pushing it just that little too much. Have you tried an alternate cable (ie, different brand)?

Kind regards,
N/A

microfilters!

I haven't bothered to connect my sky box to the microfilter as it's pretty pointless lol, plus my phone takes its place. I bought a new house phone today and it still doesn't work.

I can NOT hear a dial tone when i connect my phone through the microfilter into the extension socket, but I can if i miss out the microfilter and connect the phone directly into the phone socket. My adsl router is directly into the socket now too.

My filters are working, I checked them on the main socket by plugging in the microfilter and then putting the phone in. I heard a dial tone.

So if my diagram looks ok, I don't get why it shouldn't be working.
N/A

microfilters!

I thought that the filter should always come from the main socket first and everything plugged in that. I have that combination, I have an extension also with its own seperate filter. Perhaps spikedd could try it that way.
N/A

microfilters!

I thought that the filter should always come from the main socket first and everything plugged in that. I have that combination, I have an extension also with its own seperate filter. Perhaps spikedd could try it that way.

Yes thats spot on as far as I know aswell. You always have a microfilter at the start and then everytime down the line once an extension finishes. Whever or not you use the ADSL from that microfilter or not it is still required I think.
N/A

microfilters!

I tried putting another microfilter at the main socket with the extension line connected to it but it didnt work. The router kept trying to connect but it would never get past the handshaking.
N/A

microfilters!

I would suggets that a new extension cable may be the best proposition as it seems the one now in use degrades the signal and/or picks up interferance which would also degrade the signal. Other than that maybe you should contact Sky as they installed the extension, it could be a defective internal connection in the line.
N/A

microfilters!

Id say try a better quality extension as you have tried everything else. Somethings telling me theres to much signal interference on the line when both the Adsl and phone are connected, thats just a guess btw!
N/A

microfilters!

Ahh typical me skim reading lol, somebody allready suggested that Shockedops: