Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

many domain names, 2 plusnet accounts - I need MX records

batfastad
Grafter

Hi

I have two plusnet accounts, one for my house and one for my small business in the centre of town.

Let's say usernames: business and home

We run exchange in the office so we have all our email delivered to our static ip through smtp.
For the username: business, we have 5 domain names
For the username: home, we have 2 domain names

The email from the 2 domain names in the home account is delivered by POP at the moment but I wish to have it so that it's all bounced on to mail.domain1.com on our business account.

I know I'll probably need to add some MX records to the two domains in the home account to do this, but what MX records do I need to add?

Thanks

Ben
5 REPLIES
N/A

The way I have done it is to change the MX record on the domain name (in your case the 2 home domain names) - the company who you purchaced the domains from should be able to do this for you if they havent got an interface for you to do it yourself.
I have changed my domain names to point to my static IP address (in your case your buisness ip adress). An alternative to this is to put the mx record as a name (mail.domain.com.) rather than ip
You then need to add the domain name to exchange, and create whatever mailboxs you need. If you dont add the home domains to exchange then I think all the mail to these domains will be bounced by exchange. I dont use exchange myself but this is what happens with my mailserver.

Hope that helps,

Tom
batfastad
Grafter

Ok that sounds fine.

Just add an MX record to the two 'home' domain names. They are both registered and hosted at plusnet.

Then I'll just add the domains to the default policy in SBS 2003 as I have for the other extra domain names we have.
Obviously in the plusnet domain names section of the portal, I'll have to tick "Other - I wish to specify DNS records for mail to this domain" in the mail settings section.

This all sounds good but...
I'm confused about what I actually type as the MX record in the plus net domain name, configure DNS records section.

I want all mail sent to homedomain1.com to be delivered to a static ip address of say, 81.123.456.789

What do I type in the plusnet domain configurator to set this MX record?

There are 4 boxes in the plusnet DNS record configuration screen...
Left field - what do I type in there?
Type - MX?
Pri - is the priority number if you have multiple MX records, let's say 10.
Right field - 81.123.456.789?

Thanks

Ben
N/A

Yep thats it... (though hope that's not really the IP address you're planning to use Smiley )
batfastad
Grafter

What do I type in the left field of the MX record?
batfastad
Grafter

Ah ok

There's a really useful page at
http://www.plus.net/support//webspace/domain_admin_dns.shtml

I've just found the support/help full index - really useful.

It appears I leave the left field blank.

Thanks

Ben