cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mains networking

vic_newey
Grafter

mains networking

Anyone using networking via your mains sockets? seems to be more reliable than wireless. The special plugs are 85mbps & presumably the networking is via the earth ot neutral wire.

Seems a good idea to me & as reliable as standard cable connection.
6 REPLIES
N/A

mains networking

I was looking at trying out the netgear kit.. Haven't got round to it yet though. Is there any sort of lag on mains networking like you get on wireless?
N/A

mains networking

Hmmm, add a direct link between your router and the xmas lights - sounds like it should be a recipe for disaster.

I guess it must work fairly well, or else they wouldn't be selling the kit though. I might have to have a little dabble myself.

/wonders if it would be faster via a three phase circuit.. Wink

@vicnewey - When you say it seems more reliable, are you talking from experience, or as a potential punter?
I would like to hear from somebody first hand before I leap in armed with my Visa card.
N/A

mains networking

Hi all,

I've been use the Solwise PL-85PE adapters for a while now and they've been outstanding!

The throughput is reasonable. When using more than 2 the bandwidth is shared so thru'put is reduced but that is to be expected.

Hope that helps someone take the plunge!

My one wish would be that a manufacturer adds PoE to these devices so the likes of IPcams would only need 1 power point!

Stuart.
N/A

mains networking

It does seem like a bit of an oversight to neglect to include PoE, I wonder if there are any available with it included?
N/A

mains networking

hi all,

i have been using the solwise adaptors as well. As stated there is some reduction in performance and work best directly off a mains socket as opposed to a four way extension.

pt
N/A

mains networking

I use homeplugs 14Mbps (that's the type not the speed achieved). Wireless was a pain in the proverbial - endlessly dropping signals and faffing about - sold all my wireless gear on eBay which paid for the homeplugs and the wired router. Does all my networking needs including a Slimserver MP3 - brilliant, just plug it in and it works.

Andy