cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mail servers

N/A

mail servers

when my connection goes live i would like to setup a mail server for the domain im registering. This is the first time i will have set up a mail server, i have used linux a bit in the past but would probably require some faqs on it. i was wondering if some people could give me examples of easy to setup mail server, pop3 and smtp would be required of course possibly with webmail. telling me what setup you have would also be helpful

thanks
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

mail servers

Take a look at SME server @
http://contribs.org/modules/news/

It very easy to setup, but can be picky about hard drives.

Chilly
N/A

mail servers

am i right in guessing that this is a linux based server or do they offer a windows one aswell?

thanks
Community Veteran

mail servers

Its a web/workgroup server based custom port of RedHat 7.2

Chilly
N/A

mail servers

so am i right in saying it is its own os?

my connection is supposedly live now (got the email saying it is) so i will have a look when i get home
N/A

mail servers

I'm running postfix on NetBSD. It's a little tricky to set up, but once you've got it running you can just leave it.

You can retrieve mail using POP3 or IMAP, I use IMAP as I have a few different machines I want to access mail with.
N/A

mail servers

Also if you have php's imap module it makes webmail pretty simple.
N/A

Running own email server

If you want to run a server on a Win32 machine, Mercury would be a good try. Written by the author of Pegasus Mail, you can find it (free download) at www.pmail.com

This program offers POP3, SMTP, IMAP, Email list management, and much much more. A revision has just addressed the only exploit found in its history. Further updates will include a web interface to the administration system for use with the server if it is a remote location.