cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mail server set up

N/A

mail server set up

Hi,

I am considering setting up a mail server at home using MS Exchange Server.
I already have a domain hosted on a dedicated server elsewhere and the mail works fine, but I would prefer to host it at home.

My question is this: If I point my mail MX record to my home IP address will PlusNet configure the reverse dns entry for my IP to point to my (non PlusNet hosted) domain?

Also, does any one have experience of setting up Exchange on PlusNet for a non PlusNet domain? Was it a painless task?

Any comments or pointers to useful resources would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
Phil
7 REPLIES
N/A

MX

Hi Phil,

Yes! I did an Exchange Server admins course as part of my MCSE (windows 2000) I have a strong feeling that its infact the other way around. You would need to ask PN to setup an MX record on there DNS server in order for your mail server to receive mail. The other hosting company might need to do a similar process (but you might have to check that with them?) they might need to do mail forwarding to your own mail server from your other domain.

**You might have to setup a domain on your home site for the exchange server too?

**Have a look into connector types & options, as I seem to recall (digging deep into the back of my memory now) that you might be able to allow your exchange server to see & connect to other mail servers via connector's. But I have a feeling that this might only apply within a business or larger organisation where several mail servers are in use at the same time.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB Service
N/A

mail server set up

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the reply.
I think I'll have a go with Exchange, I'm used to setting up SQL Server and bits of W2k3 and I know a bit about other mail servers, so hopefully I'll be OK.

I probably didn't word my other question quite right.

I host my DNS with a separate service (from my server ISP), I can change the MX record(s) to point them to my fixed IP (from PlusNet). However, a properly configured mail server requires a reverse DNS entry, this doesn't go in the DNS, the IP 'owner' (PlusNet) needs to place an entry in the arpa database. This means when a mail server connects to another server, that server can check that the IP address and name of the connecting server are valid. Many mail servers are set up not allow connections from other mail servers that dont have correct reverse DNS entries.

I dont want to go down this route if PlusNet wont configure the reverse DNS for me.

Cheers

Phil
Cloudmaster
Grafter

mail server set up

I dont want to go down this route if PlusNet wont configure the reverse DNS for me.

PN will definitely set a reverse DNS entry of your choice. They had no problems doing it for me on my 8 block.

Just raise the appropriate support ticket.
N/A

mail server set up

Hi Cloudmaster,

Many thanks, that's just what I needed to know - I'll look into it further now.

Cheers

Phil
N/A

Mail servers

Hi Phil,

OK!! Yes! Now I understand what you want to do more clearly and that all makes complete sense. Sounds like you should be able to do what you wanted through PN without any problems.

Cheers Ivan
N/A

mail server set up

Thanks Ivan,

BTW, Do you know of any online resources that introduce a simple Exchange setup for internet mail. If you dont, thanks fine, I'm sure I can google something up. The MS website is very thorough, but I really need a simple view from "10,000 feet" sort of thing

Cheers
Phil
N/A

Exchange overview

Hi Phil,

Difficult one! Humm!, I personally dont know of anything but thats not too say what your after doesnt exsist out there. I havent looked into the kind of setup your wanting to work with in any depth, sorry! dont think I'm going to be able to help you much further.

Ivan

-------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Pemier 2MB User