cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mIRC - email address shows up

N/A

It seems that our PlusNet email address shows up on mIRC - no matter what you put in. Is there any way of stopping this? I tried putting NOYB@me.co.uk for instance and it shows up as NOYB@kevankiki.plus.com which is a valid email address - come to that <anything>@kevankiki.plus.com would be valid.

I would prefer to remain anonymous on IRC, particularly as my teenager also uses it and I don't want lamers hassling her, surely there is some way to prevent this happening?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thats just your IP address in mirc, you can get it changed. Just submit a ticket and ask for a rDNS change to display your IP only, but note that doesnt change your web address as well just your online IP.

edit: another option but handy to do both.

If the IRC service has a Nickserv or like quakenet Q accounts, then they can Hide your IP address if you register with them.

Both for the times when the bot controlling Nickserv or a Q accounts is down, then your username is still visable.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Thanks, having found a very helpful op in a channel I frequently use, I am now set to be hidden once logged on, having registered with Undernet...

I have also set up a 'junk' email address within PlusNet as an extra precaution.

I can't see how hiding your IP address would help a great deal if ppl can still get hold of your email address anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In any irc client you don't need to put any real information in the email settings.

But also if you get the rDNS changed then they won't know your PN username if and when the nickserv etc service is not working, unless you paste any url's to your webspace in the chat channels.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

use a proxy / bnc?

buz
N/A

OK will raise a ticket and ask for a rDNS change to display the IP only anyway. As for the email address, it didn't matter what we put in the box for email it still added @kevankiki.plus.com to <something> making it a valid email address (since <anything> is valid isn't it?).
N/A

Yes it is.

Setting your email address is not intended, and never has been intended to change what you see on IRC.

The value you talk of is know as the nick!user@host, and is derived from your nickname, your ident reply and the hostname that your IP address comes from.
N/A

It's that 'value' I didn't want others to be able to see. However, I think I am as sorted as I can be now, at least I will be once PlusNet respond to my ticket. Providing the bots are around we'll be hidden anyway.