cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet dial up scams

N/A

internet dial up scams

i have the standard 14.99 plusnet broadband. i'm concerned about being hit by this scam. i'm pretty sure i was caught up in this when i was using dial up with another isp, but fortunately didn't run up huge bills.
7 REPLIES
N/A

internet dial up scams

Hi and welcome to the forums.

As you are using Broadband you will be imune from these dial up scams. providing of course that you old dial up modem is not plugged into the phone line.

As adsl does not dial a number, you will be safe. That is until some idiot devises a way to get round that. :roll:
Community Veteran

internet dial up scams

Simple way to avoid it - unplug your dailup modem (the one that screeches when you connect) ADSL hardware cannot dailup like a 56k (dail up) modem hence even if your pc is infected as long as you have your dail up modem unplugged you are o.k.
N/A

internet dial up scams

Could be very wrong but my understanding is that these "dialers" if that is what your refering cannot work over a broadband connection.I think you just have to make sure that you do not have a modem plugged into a normal phone socket as "backup"

Like I said I could be wrong and will stand correcting on this one
N/A

internet dial up scams

Ok Guys, three posts, all correct, but all saying the same thing Cheesy
So I'll repeat (and make it 4 Wink )
Don't worry too much about diallers in particular, but

DO worry about general viruses, adware and the like.

To get you started there is a helpful thread
here which will give you some links and tips to help keep you secure from viruses, but also try to spend some time going through the rest of this forum.
You will find some very helpful tips and ideas which will help you keep your personal details personal, and help keep your machine running as you want, and generally make everything more enjoyable.
If at all you get a bit lost, just ask, and you'll find loads of very clued up people, who will be more than happy to help you out.

And welcome to the forum community
Community Veteran

internet dial up scams

Ok Guys, three posts, all correct, but all saying the same thing Cheesy
So I'll repeat (and make it 4 Wink )
Don't worry too much about diallers in particular, but

Look at the timings ;-)

@sithratanavong welcome - I didn't look at your post count when posting initially!
N/A

internet dial up scams

it's been said in this thread to disconnect the old modem (for the dial up connection). i'm not sure if i have done this or can do this: before setting up the broadband the only hardware i used was a cable connecting the pc to the phone socket - i had to connect/disconnect this cable whenever i wanted to use/finish using the internet.
N/A

internet dial up scams

Provided you have disconnected the cable that connected your computer to the phone socket, prior to using broadband, then you have as the notes say above "disconnected the modem".