cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent internet connection

N/A

I have a wired broadband internet connection. My computer is on all the time during the day. I can access the internet no problem when I first connect up, but if I go back to try to access a Web page later in the day I cannot connect until I have re-booted the computer.
Any ideas anyone on how I can solve this problem?
12 REPLIES
N/A

You cannot connect? But you have a 24/7 connection. You mean the page doesn't display? Also, can you do other "things" on the Internet, chat using MSN for example?
N/A

The message invariably comes up saying that the page is unavailable, and that goes for whichever page I try.

I can usually get my email OK.
N/A

These things are usually DNS problems. You could try clearing your DNS cache ...

Start/Run/cmd

C:\.....ipconfig /flushdns

Make sure your DNS server settings are correct.
N/A

Many thanks for your help. I have just done as you advised and w3ill see if it solves the problem.
LiamM
Grafter

Are you using a USB Modem? Are you actually Connected to Plusnet if you back to your Computer later in the day. Sometimes USB Modems switch themselves off either due to driver settings, Windows Power Management, or due to there not being enough USB power to power the modem....
N/A

Thanks for your suggestion, but I am not using a USB modem - I have a Netgear router/modem.

Since emptying my DNS cache the problem seems to have been solved.
N/A

It's still happening - I have to reboot before being able to connect to the internet, or to receive mail, if I have not been using the connections for some time. I have no power saving options in use. I am using Microsoft Outlook, and Firefox.
Community Veteran

Check the settings on your router and look for an entry called "Idle Time" or similar.
Ensure that this is set to 0 (zero) otherwise your router will be disconnecting when you dont use it for a period.
Community Veteran

What model of netgear router are you using. If it's a DG814 or DG834, the idle timeout setting is on the basic settings page after logging into it, and it must be set to 0 to disable the idle timeout

However, I can't see how this would be the problem if you have to reboot your PC, the problem is more likely to do with your Ethernet / network hardware or a software/driver problem on your PC.

Have you tried switching your router off then on to see if that get's it working. If it does not then the problem is with your PC.
N/A

Thanks - I will try this suggestion.

I hope it isn't the PC as it is newly built, by me!
kissack
Grafter

instead of re-booting next time, try accessing the page again after 5 minutes. (for the last week I have been experiencing 2 minute gaps in being able to browse! Very annoying at at first thought it was my end, so we reset the connection. However now I believe it is the exchange/+net connection.)
N/A

Thanks Mannin, I was wondering if that could be something to do with it, because, in spite of trying all the ways suggested so far, it is still happening, and is extremely annoying when you want to find something quickly.