cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interesting probe my IP baring one digit

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

just had a probe from an IP that is just one digit from mine. When i first saw it, I thought damn I've got a trojan then looked again and noticed the difference

my ip is 212.159.71.88
probe from 211.159.71.88

Possible for them to be looking for a bad firewall rule? If so has to be a spoofed IP.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
2 REPLIES
N/A

You can never tell if it was a spoofed IP.

A spoofed IP is exactly that, spoofed. Meaning an incorrect source address has been used.

When you computer replies (if it replies), it will attempt delivery to the spoofed IP, and the attacker or whoever, will never know of the packets payload.

All spoofed packets will look legitimate to you, unless you can get proof that the source address, is not the legitimate cause.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

well when an IP comes from china, from recent IRC experience most spoofed IP's and bots are located there. So looking to see if this is something New in the hackers armoury
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017