cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.htaccess files

N/A

.htaccess files

I (stupidly) altered an htaccess file before uploading it to my site. I put up my own site as a site allowed to hotlink my images, but put the addy in wrong. :shock:

Now my webspace is totally messed up, I get an error page when trying to go to my image directory, and I have big red crosses all over the web. Now the .htaccess file is up there and active, it's turned invisible and so I can't even remove it myself.

I've rasied a ticket with 'contact us', but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of anything I can do to rectify this? Or will I just have to try and get my webspace wiped and start all over again?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

(and yep, I know I'm stupid Wink )
4 REPLIES
N/A

.htaccess files

In Unix, files starting with a dot are "hidden", but they can be viewed by using the command ls-a.

I assume you're using a graphical FTP client? Does it have any options for showing all files?

If not, you could try command line FTP: In Windows Start -> Run -> ftp homepages.plus.net

Enter username and password when prompted.

In each directory, enter ls -al to show the contents of the directory. Subdirectories will appear with a "d" as the first character on the line in which they appear. To change to a subdirectory, enter: cd <subdirectory name>. To move up a directory, enter cd ..

When you've found the directory with the offending .htaccess file, you can delete it with delete .htaccess.

At any point, help will give you a list of the commands. help <command> will give more detail about <command>.

To log out, enter quit at the prompt.
Community Veteran

.htaccess files

One other option might be just to reupload a new .htaccess file to overwrite the old one, however make the new one just a completly blank file, it's certainly fixed a problem for me before.

Chris
N/A

.htaccess files

Thank you both soooo much! I was totally lost without my images, but it's now fixed.

I was trying the solution from taskforce9 with the command line, and figuring out all the commands (that was interesting, I never knew I could do that..lol), and then got the mail to say there'd been another reply and that seemed so simple I tried that and it worked. Great thanks to you both for your really quick responses....you've both taught me something tonight!

Now I know I can fix it so easily, I might just have to have another go! Cheesy
Community Veteran

.htaccess files

Im sure I speak for Task also, in saying glad we could help Smiley

Chris