cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do u build a members area

N/A

hi all just woundering if any one knows how to build a members area on a web site or does any one know any soft ware that would do it i dont no html and idont want one of thouse that u right click and it lets u in if u get the link

thanks all
13 REPLIES
N/A

found out

hi all if any body was woundering how to build a members area on there site please visit( bravenet.com ) very good site basic version is free

seya all
N/A

Re: found out

As a warning:

The bravenet "protection" doesn't really protect anything at all. It gives something that looks vaguely secure, but in fact all pages are still publicly available. It offers "security by obscurity" which is generally not a good thin

Moderators note (John) Quote removed as it was just a repeat of the entire post above and not needed.
Community Veteran

Also what do you mean by a members area. Do you mean a set of web pages that only members can view, or an area in say a forum that only members can access.

If it's just an area of webpages, put them in a separate directory and use .htaccess password protection. You will need to update the usernames & passwords manually bit it will work for small numbers of users. If your after a full member access control system then alternate solutions are necessary.

For a forum type system just use phpBB on the cgi server.

See the following tutorials:

General: .htaccess

Scripts: Help Installing phpBB
N/A

members area

hi there i mean just a members are where u give members a password and user name and that allows peole in to your web page www.bfndevelopment.com has a better password protection with lots of members tools i found it better anyway
N/A

can any on recomend any outher members service

hi can any one recomend anouther serviceto me like the one above thanks gareth
N/A

Re: can any on recomend any outher members service

For php I use phpSecurePages.

Regards,

Derek

Moderators note by John (johnessex) quote removed as it was a full copy of the preceding post and not needed.
N/A

hi thanks for that derik looks good shame i dont know php i supose i will have to learn thanks for that any way regards gareth
N/A

Gareth,

It's not that bad. Just load the files to a top level directory called 'phpSecurePages' and add the following lines to the pages you want to protect.

$cfgProgDir = '../phpSecurePages/';
include($cfgProgDir . "secure.php");

There is a small amount of config you have to do in phpSecurePages (such as username and password) but that's about it. The 'readme' is pretty good at explaining what needs to be done.

Regards,

Derek.

ps don't forget with plusnet this will need to be in your cgi area.
N/A

hi thanks for that sounds easy but ant got a clue where to start with cgi,
its quite hard ithink but i may try it some time thanks again
aetos
Grafter

Why not try and use the WEBWIZ ASP Password protection, it seems to be secure and uses per session cookies

www.webwizguide.info

Mark
N/A

htaccess tutorial

hi all i have been trying the tutorial but finding it hard to do this members area is there any outher tutorials out there that would be easy
aetos
Grafter

ASP Script

Gareth try this ready made one, it should be easy to reconfigure

http://www.webwizguide.info/asp/sample_scripts/database_login_script.asp

you can use an access dB as teh backend of it allowing you a large number of users.

Let me know if this is the type of thing you are looking for

MArk
N/A

hi there i have bought a a system called siteguardpro as i need a system that disables bad passwords,onlything is some one has told me that it wont go on my server so iam wanting a php on any ideas