cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hotbar how do i get rid of it?

N/A

hotbar has appeared on outlook express toolbar and internet explorer toolbar. When you remove it and close down it reappears again when you next open.

Any ideas how to remove or how it got there?
2 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

HotBar should firstly be removed through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, however some items remain which need to be removed manually.

Having removed it via the Add/Remove tool, you will need to run Regedit from Start - Run - type Regedit select OK and remove the following keys in the registry.

Be careful that you are removing the correct registry entries as removing the wrong entry can result in many problems.

HKey_Current_User\Software\Hotbar
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Hotbar
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\B195B3B3-8A05-11D3-97A4-0004ACA6948E
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform\Hotbar 3.0

You should also delete the HotBar 3.0 string from

HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent

Following this run a program such as Adaware SE from Lavasoft (free) and ensure your system is clean of spyware.

Hope that helps.

<Edit> Having typed that out, I have subsequently been informed that Symantec have a good removal tool for this. This can be downloaded Here Might be a bit easier for you than hacking the registry. Smiley

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
N/A

Thanks Mark

Before reading your post i did a system reset to a few days back and then ran the spybot which seems to have worked. You see the problem was it was not listed anywhere as a program that had been installed so I couldn't remove it. So if it does reappear I'll try that program you mentioned.

Can't seem to work out where it came from though?