cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hosts from plus.net

N/A

hosts from plus.net

hi
how many hosts should be connected to you. my firewall shows 8 ips all from plus.com icmp pinging me. is this right.
which ports do the plus.net servers use
thank :?
18 REPLIES
N/A

hosts from plus.net

I'm almost positive PlusNet don't use plus.com for any of their servers which might appear in your firewall logs, they use plus.net. Plus.com as far as I know is only used for customers (in the form of "username.plus.com").
N/A

hosts from plus.net

Yes, PlusNet only use plus.net for the internal systems. All plus.com addresses are cusotmers.

ICMP pings from these addresses are a sign of receint viruses thta have been released scanning to test if your system is alive.

Provided you have all updates, are using a good up-2-date virus scanners, and keep your firewall on (and again, up-2-date), these should not be of too much concern.
Geoff
Grafter

hosts from plus.net

Hello, I've been on Plusnet ADSL for nearly a week now. I have been doing some investigating today. I have been using a scanning tool that we use at work to see which PCs have not been patched with the MS03-039 patch. This is the patch that superceded the MS03-026 patch that MS advised us to install to protect us from the Blaster virus.

I have scanned several PlusNet user IP ranges, either side of my IP address and have discovered that out of the PCs scanned:-
36 are fully patched
8 need MS03-039 patch
4 not even patched for MS03-026
1 was a 9x/ME PC that is not vulnerable

It seems that the message has not reached everyone yet and a no. of our members are still vulnerable.

Geoff
Community Veteran

hosts from plus.net

You shouldn't be scanning people, that can be seen as threatening action even if you don't intend doing anything.

Oh and Ive removed your duplicate post Smiley

Chris
Geoff
Grafter

hosts from plus.net

Chris, yes I started to think about being thought of as a threat as I was performing the scans. That's one reason why I posted on here as well as to warn people about being vulnerable.

Thanks for removing my duplicate post. Usual finger trouble :?

Geoff
Community Veteran

hosts from plus.net

Scanning people to make them aware of being vunderable without thier permission is bad in the same way Viruses like Nachi are bad.

Chris
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

hosts from plus.net

I have been "pinged" 39,530 times in the last month.

Do I hold the record?
N/A

hosts from plus.net

I have been "pinged" 39,530 times in the last month.

Do I hold the record?

'fraid not Mark. It seems I hold the record, now standing at 52, 531. Not bad eh?

:shock:
N/A

hosts from plus.net

And here's me thinking 27 was bad :?
Community Veteran

hosts from plus.net

I've got to say it but....

Lol!

Well, I seem to get 3 a minute, 180 an hour, 4'320 a day, 131'760 a month!

Thomas
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

hosts from plus.net

Going once...
N/A

hosts from plus.net

Well, I seem to get 3 a minute, 180 an hour, 4'320 a day, 131'760 a month!

Thomas

Oerrrrr, seems that I'll have to try harder then!

Cry
N/A

hosts from plus.net

Hi,

Just out of interest is it worth reporting the offending users to "abuse 'at' plus.net"? What sort of action would plus.net take?

I am getting really fed up with the sheer quantities of log files generated by unauthorized connection attempts. :x

I've even changed to dropping ICMP packets which aren't related to a previous action (so I still get net/host/port unreachable messages). This seems to help as hosts which were previously doing a ping followed by three tcp ->135 connection attempts now seem to give up after the first ping. (Still get over 1000 pings every 24 hours though... :shock: )

Also do plus.net have anything to do with 'force9.co.uk' or 'free-online.co.uk' addresses or do they just all happen to share the same (old style) class B address space?

Thanks for your help...
Ianwild
Grafter

hosts from plus.net

Hi,

This is what we tried to sort with the announcement here, but unfortnately we can't do it yet as per the announcement here.

F9 and Free-Online are both brands of PlusNet and as such share the same network.

Regards,