cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home networking

N/A

home networking

At home i have three PC's connected to the net via a DSL router.

Is it possilbe to enable one of the PC's to be the main PC, allowing "bandwidth" control of the other 2 PC's whilst accessing the net ??

Thanks in advance

Andy
7 REPLIES
N/A

home networking

no is the simple answer. You could run a proxy server but I dont know one that would throttle the bandwidth.

There is an old fashioned thing which isnt seen much in the this day and age but its called communication why not speak to others in the house and tell them you are downloading and need the bandwidth for a few hours and ask them to use the net as little as possable?
N/A

home networking

yeah right, have you ever had a positive response from the kids !!! :roll:
N/A

home networking

bribery works most of the time
N/A

home networking

You could run a proxy server but I dont know one that would throttle the bandwidth.

Squid can do this quite easily as far as I'm aware,, plus you get the added benefit of caching pages so stuff like interactive flash games (which kids love!) get served fromthe cache as opposed to having to be re-downloaded again and again everytime the kids want to play them which benefits everyone concerned.

http://www.squid-cache.org

I have docs on Squid in my Plus.net domain which is http://www.nryonline.co.uk though I don't discuss bandwidth throttling as I've never used it.

Regards,

nry

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quoting fixed for you. Have a look here if you need some help.]
N/A

home networking

Ah yes, my school uses it (with it's bandwidth throttling capabilites). It seems to work well, and if the IT technicians at school can do it, so can you Smiley
Simon_M
Grafter

Re: home networking

Is it possilbe to enable one of the PC's to be the main PC, allowing "bandwidth" control of the other 2 PC's whilst accessing the net ??
It rather depends what sort of control you need & why. For example Intertex & Linksys both do routers that allow the prioritisation of voice traffic, so your chat with Auntie Flo in Aus doesn't suffer when little Johnny starts to download the rap mp3 version of War & Peace.

To be effective, bandwith control needs a fair level of intelligence. It has to react not only to the volume of data each user is calling for, but also the type of data. Streamed media or voice needs higher priority than web browsing, email or file download.

It is something that is starting to feature in the better SOHO routers these days. You may find a change of router easier than setting up a server. You can then set the router up to control who gets what bandwidth from any PC. Don't forget to password protect it though - the kids might have other ideas as to who should get priority. Smiley

If you do look at a new router, make sure you go for one where there is a history of new features being added to existing hardware by firmware upgrade, because bandwidth control seems to be a feature that is just starting to be a hot topic in the SOHO router market. You don't want to miss out on future developments.
N/A

home networking

If your going to put a squid box, you might as well include a package called TC that runs on Linux. TC stands for Traffic Control, as then name suggests thats exactly what you can do with it ... it was really easy to setup and did the job just right for me.