cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help setting up asterisk

N/A

help setting up asterisk

I want to set up asterisk on my debian box.
I would like some real newbie help please

I was following an example on:- http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html?page=3

and now I am using x-lite to try and log on to my server.

I can see in the log files the attempts to get to the server but I think the client is setup wrong

I would be grateful for a little hand holding to get a small test set up, establish a connection between 2 pc'c on my local network using x-lite.

then we can attempt voice mail and if feeling luck maybe peering?

All help appreciated.

PM me if you have spare time I can give you access to the server

Thanks

James.
9 REPLIES
powernumpty
Grafter

help setting up asterisk

I've stumbled about a bit with asterisk for a few days.
Unless you are determined to go the hard way try astersik@home and AMP.
I know virtually nothing about it but have managed to setup a machine and a few x-lite (and Hardware Phone) in minutes with @home and AMP
N/A

I got asterisk@home

its all installed and working well.......BUT....

x-lite is saying call not approved when I test on *77 or any number

my set up is all on 192.168.2.x

all pc's are on the same network

What am I missing?

Thanks

J.
powernumpty
Grafter

help setting up asterisk

I installed one asterisk on to a SME server, I strugled to get over the exact problem you are experiencing.

I still say asterisk@home would be quicker to install from nothing and get those X-lite phone working straight away than work out what is causing the problem.

I spent ages searching the net for the simple answers or even fault finding lists then just installed asterisk@home and it just worked straight away (as it did on another install at work).
N/A

I am using asterisk at home

I amk using asterisk at home installfromISO on a spare PC.

Still getting the same error message.

Any idea what I am missing here?

Thanks

J.
powernumpty
Grafter

help setting up asterisk

Well mine did work,,,,doesn't now from X-Lite, the Grandstream GXP-2000 connects fine to plusnet directly and as a extension to Asterisk.

Weird, cant log on now from X-lite.
May not help that I have a few other sip programs that I'm playing with as well.

Sorry if I wasted some of your time, as soon as I get it working again I'll let you know, dont hold your breath.

May pay to post on a more asterisk centred forum.
N/A

what settings did u put in x-lite?

can you run me a list of what you put in the x-lite config please?

Thanks for your help

James.
N/A

help setting up asterisk

Might find the voip-info page helpful (just for once it is almost in English!)
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+xten+xlite

While we are at it- Has anybody worked out how to get Plustalk to chat to Asterisk yet?
N/A

help setting up asterisk

While we are at it- Has anybody worked out how to get Plustalk to chat to Asterisk yet?

There's a link in this thread (at t' bottom) here that's useful to get calls going. Unfortunately that's the easy part. Incoming needs asterisk to register successfully with sip.plus.net but this seems hit and miss. I.e. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :roll:

At present I have got it to be more reliable by sectioning the inbound and the outbound sip groups in SIP.CONF separately.

I'll post what I have once it's reliable for me!

I don't know why +net had to make this more complicated than just purely a SIP ID associated with our account password for logon credentials. :?

Stuart.
N/A

Sussed plain asterix install

Well I fouind that if I swap my network from 192.168.2.x to a standard 192.168.1.x asterix @ home works just dandy

So I guess I'll have t drill down into the Linux OS and find out what needs to be changed host.allow etc etc.

OK so the next thing is to get call to route out via plus talk.

I think this will alow several extentions on my asterix box access to the real world.

E.g. everyone in the house a line out, but they can call each other via local
number.

Does plusnet have any issues with me doing this ?

and what if I give my mate an account on my asterisk system, would it be within T's and C's to give him gateway access to plus talk, or to make calls via my account?

I think this will be a no no, but hey we all like to test the limits now and again.

Thanks

J.