cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help on DNS server

N/A

help on DNS server

help i am ery desperate to day i wen on over a 100 websites trying to get the solution HOW DO I SETUP A DNS SERVER
8 REPLIES
N/A

help on DNS server

What's wrong with using Plusnet's DNS servers? Wink
N/A

On DNS setting up of,Ivan

Hello,

I believe if you want to setup your own domain name server there are a number of essential requirements that need to be in place before you can do that. Firstly I think you will need to have a domain name of your own (such as mydomainname.co.uk), this needs to be a fully registered domain name.

Once you have the domain name in place & working, then you can proceed to setup your own DNS server. Obviously there are various DNS server products around & depending upon OS (linux server or MS server, & if you want a free product or have funds and can pay?) but for example if you setup a Microsoft Windows server 2003 it comes with a DNS server which can be installed as an extra server componant from the product CD disk.

**Once you have the DNS server installed (the installation process will require things like default gateway, IP of your router, IP address of various other machines on you local network, it will require the IP or hostnames of the closest DNS servers to your own DNS server so your server could make contact and this would be on Plusnet, so you would have to enter the IP's of PN's Primary & secondary DNS servers.

**So your DNS server needs to be able to establish contact with PN's DNS server as PN server's would most likley be your closest authorititive DNS, authorititive DNS servers are the next type of DNS server in the hierachie or tree. They hold a larger and more complete DNS database of domain names to IP's.

**I suggest you get yourself a good book on DNS as its quite a complex subject and the more you know & understand the better.

**DNS or Name Resolution service/s are a vital part of the internet and ALL web services depends upon it, so understanding just HOW dns or name resolution actullay works then you'll have a very good grasp of what & how the internet works IMO.

Ivan
N/A

help on DNS server

its just that i have a web server and i want to set up a dns server to get the domain names go on propally
N/A

DNS Replying,Ivan

Hello Again janetroche

OK now I think I understand what you want to do? but you might not need to go too all the trouble of setting up your own DNS server in order to do that, why do I say that?? OK so you have a web server and I assume you have your own fully registered domain name. I think all you need is to have PlusNet's own DNS servers containing the correct DNS records in their database.

So that when a user/viewer types in your domain name or the URL of your website into the browser such as http://www.mydomainname.co.uk it is resolved to the correct IP address or hostname of your website. If you have multiple domains or sub domains the same idea remains tru.

So for example mydomainame.co.uk (resolves to) IP 212.56.77.09 in the DNS servers database.

or sales.mydomainname.co.uk (sub domain ) resolves to IP 212.56.77.10

**In other words you may NOT need to setup your own DNS server inorder for the DNS name process to work smoothly and for viewers/visitors to reach your beloved website/webserver.

**Ask yourself this? What benefit would I get by setting up my own DNS server?? I'm NOT convinced setting up your own DNS would help your web server or website. OK have a DNS server if you have many many servers, or machines on your LAN or you are trying to host mutiple websites/servers OK fair enough but if you only have 1 web server & site I dont think its really required IMO.

Ivan
LiamM
Grafter

help on DNS server

I had a similar issue. You need primary and secondary nameservers which will store the DNS information. These need to be located on seperate boxes and ideally seperate geographical locations.

I run a DNS server on one of my boxes (one location) and I use my server hosts secondary DNS server at a different location.

Am I right in thinking you have a dedicated server? If so, who is it with? Many provide a DNS facility for you.
LiamM
Grafter

help on DNS server

Moved to Everything Internet.
N/A

help on DNS server

What's wrong with using Plusnet's DNS servers? Wink

i agree with your avatar on this matter.
N/A

help on DNS server

DNS servers are much better on a different IP range, and in a different geographical location for redundancy, but it isn't essential.

If you would like to cut down on costs and host the website yourself without having to pay for hosting, but still want your a decent domain, such as .co.uk, etc. why not use a 3rd party DNS provider?

Most of them do charge, but I have used http://freedns.afraid.org alot in the past, and you have the option to create new records, subdomains etc. but best of all it's free!

Once you have signed up, register your domain, and point it to... ns1.afraid.org, ns2.afraid.org, ns3.afraid.org and ns4.afraid.org (ns3 and ns4 are optional).

Wait until it propogates and login to your FreeDNS account and catch the domain. Enter your IP in, and you'll automatically receive all traffic from the domain.

They also have a decent support forum if you need to ask more Q's.