cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help me quick

N/A

help me quick

hey,
could you help im running a server and i have a few ports open for it on my network firewall, and my website is runnig fine, but i got told that if you know a websites port no. then you can hack in and access the computers files and people on the network as well is there anything i can do to help improve the vaunriblity for hackers
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

help me quick

Depends on what ports you have open and what software you are running that is listening on those ports. It also depends on the OS and version you are running.

If you are running Micorsoft web servers and software make sure you have all the latest service packs and updates installed.

Make sure you are up to date with all security updates for OS and applications.

Make sure you are runninga virus scanner and trojan scanner on the system which will warn you of any compromised software being installed and running.

Only leave thise ports you need for running ypur services open. If you don't have FTP don't keep that port open etc.
N/A

help me quick

ive got 2 ports open http and ftp i need them both im useing windows xp pro and ive got the windows firewall on and my router has one made by netgear im running a program called miniportal that is based on top of apache, ive got norton anti virus but cant people get past the firewall and take a copy and delete them and stuff, what can i do to help? ive got all the windows updates as well, please help
Community Veteran

help me quick

Turn off the Windows firewall - it's not a firewall - and use a proper one. I recomend ZoneAlarm. There is a free version which works OK but I use the payfor Pro version with more features.

What is your netgear router make/model because some have a proper firewall, others have what is known as a NAT which is not really a firewall but does give some protection.

What software are you using for your FTP service.
N/A

help me quick

its the wireless DG824M does it have a proper firewall? and im using miniportal for ftp as well
Community Veteran

help me quick

Yes, that router has a proper firewall. As long as it is configured to only allow ports 80 (http) and 21 (ftp) inbound your should not be worried. I would still run a software firewall on that system anyway for additional security.

You don't really have a lot to be worried about but nothing is ever 100% foolproof.

[corrected ftp port 21 not 23 Shockedops: ]
csogilvie
Grafter

help me quick

21 for FTP - 23 is Telnet
Community Veteran

help me quick

Shockedops: I think you know the reason for that mistake Cheesy Corrected.
N/A

help me quick

ok whats the best free firewall program i can get instead of the windows one?
N/A

help me quick

I would recommend ZoneAlarm, although the Pro (paid for) version is a lot better, the free one is still good.
N/A

help me quick

ok is there anything else to help stop hackers other than firewalls, virus protectsHuh
Community Veteran

help me quick

Depends on how far you want to go - i.e. how insecure you are feeling.

What you have (with ZoneAlarm - which I mentioned earlier by the way) - should stop the casual hacker (which covers the vast majority) but as I said, nothing is ever 100% secure. Security is an on-going activity and you could be the one to compromise it. I.e. don't go opening/running any email attachments you were not expecting, this is the most common way of being compromised. and only install software you are sure of that does not contain any backdoors, keyloggers, virii. trojans etc etc. Stear clear of any file sharing apps or freebies. Also always keep up to date with program and security updates.