cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

haunted?

Brickinit
Grafter

haunted?

has anyone come across this virus, "joke_pchaunt.a" i started getting restarts about 10 mins after shutting down. sophos comes up clean, as does a couple of other anti-virus progs. the only one that finds it is trend micro which can't clean it.it says it is in the temp internet files, but everytime i delete them (even in safe mode) they come back. anyone got any ideas?
8 REPLIES
N/A

haunted?

Have you downloaded and tried AdAware or SpyBot S&D?

From what I can see, it looks to be part of a ad software, though I can't see to much one it.
Brickinit
Grafter

haunted?

i have done both ad-aware and spybot the only one showing was one called wild-tangent,got rid, have managed to delete temp internet files and cookies, downloaded and ran AVG no virus, also no virus with sophos. the only one it was showing up on is trend micro, very strange. on trend micro(the only place i have found any info on joke_pchaunt.a ) it says it is harmless jus a spooky halloween type of thing.
the other thing with the pc turning back on, looking at it now , seems to be a hardware either my case or motherboard,as it turns right off, not just into standby mode
N/A

haunted?

So your system is starting all on its own, after being turned off?

There are two possible causes for this

1: A broken power supply.

2: Are you using a ethernet router or other network device?
It may be possible a WOL (Wake On Lan) request has been seen, or it provides a setting for any packet to start the system.
Brickinit
Grafter

haunted?

hi philip
i'm in the process of checking the stand-by button with a spare one to see if that makes any difference.
i,m running an ethernet modem, is there a way of checking if the router is sendind a WOL. could it not also be a faulty motherboard? i will turn the router off for a while to see if that makes a difference.
i'm starting to think this topic is in the wrong forum maybe it should be in hardware forum now
N/A

haunted?

It may be wise to unplug the ethernet cable at shutdown, as this will rule out that possibility.
Community Veteran

haunted?

i'm starting to think this topic is in the wrong forum maybe it should be in hardware forum now

It started off in the correct one so I think its fair to leave it here Wink
Brickinit
Grafter

haunted?

i have sorted it, turned of the WOL option in the bios. i would dearly love to know what was kicking it into life in the first place. must reinforce my defences me thinks :?
N/A

haunted?

WOL is a two prong protocol.

1: Magic packet

2: Broadcast data

The better version is the "Magic packet" where it must be a packet, including the MAC address of the computer to restart.

If using a router, then the MAC of your system can't be seen by external system, and no default setup would be sending magic packets for no reason.

Other cards support the broadcast version (some support both), where any data can trigger the system to start up.