Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
1053 Ports Closed
3 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 0, 135, 445

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Running a 3com firewall/router (3CRWE754G72-A) also ZA Security suite version 5.5.094.000.

I can't understand why my ports have changed to closed when the last time I ran the test they were all Stealth. I have ran a virus check, trojan check and checked for spyware and adware, all OK
6 REPLIES
N/A

grc.com shieldsup results

Can you describe your setup? are you connecting via a modem or router? and what firewall software are you using?
N/A

When you tested before did you have the router acting as a firewall? Last time I tested through a router (using Sygate or Mcafee) it found all ports closed none stealthed and said that I was possibly behind a router. The router is supposed to be the better firewall, if configured correctly, but can give strange results on scans.
Try all the Sygate scans as a double check, just google for sygate.

I thought that it was bad practice to use a router firewall plus a software firewall as they can cause problems, or is that only for 2 software firewalls?
N/A

A hardware firewall (router) and software firewall is good practice. It's only two software firewalls which cause problems.
N/A

I'm currently not running a s/ware firewall as I've yet to find one I fully like and can configure how I like using 'proper' rules (My linux box is the exception - iptables Wink.

Is there anything even close to iptables for a WinXP box? (I've got two win xp laptops - one's mine but has no w/lan drivers for linux the ndiswrapper ones fail to work reliably and the other is the wife's who needs M$)
N/A

Jetico is a good firewall, espcially if you've got a good understand of the rules needed in a firewall.

It works by a series of tables, and each packet drops though these tables until if finds a suitable rule or a reject rules.

The system has a number of automatiically defined rules, but the rest are upto you, and any system generated ones, by you answer Yes to allow access are detailed ones.

Give it a shot, it's what I use.

Oh and it's free, and it's very light on resource and very quick
N/A

Ta, that's exactly what I need (IE no frills, no second guessing my intentions etc)