is my webspace
www.comedy.plus.com
or the less catchy and unattractive
http://fp.comedy.plus.com

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Post moved to a more relevant forum.]
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

frontpage

I'm afraid you'll have to stick with the "less catchy" address, unless you use methods such as frames to redirect users.

Thomas
N/A

Re: frontpage

my webspace is now set up for frontpage
is my webspace
www.comedy.plus.com
or the less catchy and unattractive
http://fp.comedy.plus.com

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Post moved to a more relevant forum.]

Would love to know how you managed that. Have got my webspace set up at fp.dpsnorth.plus.com but have difficulty in understanding how to send this to my domain. Have read the moonphase semi-literate contribution and am no further forward. Do i need cute ftp or what? Do i need to buy it for 1 day or permanently?? Why can't I just redirect my domain to the fp address within the plus net web hosting facilityHuh
Community Veteran

frontpage

Yes you need to do things are described in moonphase.

you cant point your domain name due to technical reasons.

Cute FTP as far as I am aware is free for an evaluation period, if not there are plenty of free FTP clients available or you can use Internet Explorer 6 which will also work as an FTP client (albeit not a very good one).

Chris
N/A

frontpage

Why is this? The 'fp' part of the URL etc and the need to redirect from the main web space paid for with PlusNet. Other ISP's such as 'Netfirms.com' provide free space on their servers for business with Front Page facilities and for paid space there is not the change in URL or a need for diverting from the main paid for space. I have been confused by this for a couple of years now.

I have had to go that route myself for a couple of sites for the ease using Front Page but they are in the USA and being a little old fashioned I like the idea of suporting in my own small way UK ISP's if possible and having loyalty to Plus Net.

Anyone able to explain in simple terms to a thick internet incompetent?

kevin@kentbusinesses.org

Kevin Elks.
Community Veteran

frontpage

The frontpage enabled systems are not available on the mainserver, only on a seperate system, this is for performance reasons and also to ensure security in the same way CGI is not enabled on the main server.

Due to the way PlusNet's Frontpage systems are setup its not possible to point your domain directly at the FP server. Your other hosts might use different technologies such as Windows based servers or other methods which might allow them to do this.

Chris
N/A

frontpage

quite right, plusnet are alone in the silly way they handle the fp server, its the same if you want to use php which is the whole point of apache. What they dont tell you is that all you need to do is set up cname to point at your fp site so you can use a subdomain instead. So get your own domain which you can do for as little as a few pound for a .com then you can set it up as:
catchy.mydomain.com instead of fp.mydomain.plus.com simply by pointing catchy as cname to fp.mydomain.plus.com.
N/A

frontpage

Setting up a CNAME doesn't work like that.

A CNAME is designed to point at A record, rather than an IP.

As such, you could well poitn it at fp.username.plus.com no problem. However, that is not the end of the issue.

When you request a site from a webserver, your browser sends a HOST meta-header. This is because multiple sites can reside on a single IP, and the server needs to distinguish between them all some how.

Thus, if your browser is sending www.domain.co.uk, it won't work, as the server is being requested for a domain it doesn't handle.
N/A

frontpage

HI
Ive done this myself and it works fine. I dont quite follow what you said.
if i set :
catchy cname fp.mydomain.plus.com

then http://catchy.mydomain.com/index.html returns http://catchy.mydomain.com/index.html from fp.mydomain.plus.com.

obviously you cant specify www since youve specified catchy as the server.
N/A

frontpage

This is something PlusNet said would not work in the past (as receint as 4 weeks ago).

Can PlusNet states what has changed?
N/A

frontpage

I got lost a few posts ago on this one BUT if the FP server is seperate WHY is it not set up to handle domain names directly as per other servers? It does not seem to make sense to me or is making a dogs dinner of it the aim?

Surely customer convenience and satisfaction is part of making money for the ISP (PlusNet), after all we buy a domain name and pay for it's hosting, surely if the customer pays for a .org or .com it should not be shunted away and treated as a sub domain just because it's content was put up on Front Page?

I hate Microsoft and the cretin that makes millions from it as much as the next man but I am poor, enough to be on tax credits so buying endless programmes that I cannot handle is not an option, yet, I am penalised for using Front Page.

By the way I tried Cute that I understood to be as usable as FP to design sites but it was a mess as far as I was concerned and the help was CRAP so I gave it up as a bad job.

Kevin Elks.
N/A

frontpage

Sory to post again about the same subject but I just had a thought about the obsurdity of the fp issue.

If the URL is going to change just because we use Front Page then why pay for domain hosting on Plus Net?

The last two charitable sites I set up, one I purchsed the domain name through www.123-reg.co.uk and they have a faultles redirect facility that can be set up in a few minutes, it will then point it to ANY server. I did this with
www.stop-mutilating-children.org.uk and the site is hosted on www.netfirms.com , the sub domain I selected to be the same text as the .org.uk and it all comes up on the front page server almost the same except it ends in .netfirms.com

Anyway it's free, quick and flexible. being old fashioned though I would prefer to be loyal to one ISP but forced against such things, that's the way business is today.

Kevin Elks.
N/A

frontpage

exactly....why say you support frontpage extensions but not mention not being able to use your domain in the usual manner until the user has signed up....amazing!.....oh..and dont forget they do that with php too!
N/A

frontpage

When they advertise "Frontpage extensions" that only implies that they support the use of frontpage files on their servers (which they do).

As for the cgi (php) server, you can host a domain on there in the usual manner, you have to raise a link:Contact Us ticket first requesting this though.
N/A

frontpage

the implication clearly being that if you advertise hosting and the support of frontpage extensions then you can use your domain with those extensions in the way nature intended.