cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free broadband??

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

free broadband??

Mobile phone retailer Carphone Warehouse is expected to announce the launch of a free broadband service later this week.

Wonder what that will do to the market... and PlusNet in particular?
34 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

free broadband??

You do have to sign up to a phone package with them to get it though and
apparently sky are also to do the same free broadband service with one of
their packages

Probably the most expensive one :roll:
N/A

free broadband??

More details released -

I currently have a BT line rental and charges, as well as £21.49 broadband,

Instead I could have line rental, 0 call charges and broadband with 40GB d/l up to 8MB speeds for £21 all inc.

Errr......not being funny, I have no real issues with Plus Net (I've had an account for about 3 yrs), but why shouldn't I do this ?

Any thoughts ?
N/A

free broadband??

Where did you see the 40GB d/l limit?

I had a look for the strings but couldn't find them on line.

I've been happy with plusnet untill now. But I don't like the way they are upgrading my speed to 8 meg but downgrading my cap to 10 gig peaktime. (I use abou 15 pcm)

This looks a very tempting offer. Plusnet will have to pull their finger out if they don't want to lose an awful lot of us.
N/A

free broadband??

Its got everybody I know very interested Overload?
N/A

free broadband??

They have got my attention. I will seriously be concidering the CPW package but may wait a month or so to see what Plusnet decides to offer.
Alecto
Grafter

free broadband??

This BBC Article gives more details about it.

I reckon it'll be akin to those emails from Nigeria which promise you £1 million if you send them £10,000. That article also says how much money Carphone Warehouse are losing.
N/A

free broadband??

Slightly off-topic here but CPW was on Watchdog last night about its rubbish customer service on certain tariffs for their phones. Now if they cant even do that right and they have been doing it for years, how the hell should anyone expect them to get this broadband right, its all knew to them.
tiffer
Grafter

free broadband??

All, a lot of customers of plus net recommend plus net to friends. I have done so n the past. I have had a very good look at the CPW offer, I would now advise friends to take the CPW offer, you would be mad not to take the CPW offer. My costs are, £11 line rental, £22 broadband, £10 phone bill per mth, for £21 I can get all the above. A saving of £21 per mth, £250 a year. I will deff be thinking of it.
N/A

CPW

It's hit the plusnet share price.

Time will tell but even as a Plusnet member of several years I have no loyalty when it comes to VFM.

I've changed electricity and phone suppliers - I'll change ISP if the "price is right".
N/A

free broadband??

Well I think the only thing between me leaving plus.net and going to sky or CPW is the severance charge trap that I stupidly walked into. Kind of reminds me of paying to have my sky dish removed from the side of the house at great cost.

and what is the deal with constantly changing the service agreement? are plus.net allowed to do this?
N/A

free broadband??

I think the most important feature of the CPW package is the included 40Gb d/l limit. If they can stick to that I can only see Plus.net and others losing subscribers in droves. Plus.net has to respond if CPW keep this up, and if they want our loyalty they should act quickly to give comparable download allowances.
N/A

CPW offer smells too much like a fish not to be a fish!!

Statement: The CPW "free broadband" offer cannot be genuine. To supply broadband will cost them money. They are not a charity. Therefore someone will have to pay. You have to switch your line to them --£11.00 /m. You have to sign up to their TalkTalk deal -- £9.99 /m. These two items will be paying for the broadband. They say the the broadband is free for life but what's to stop them increasing these two charges. Also ther is a 18 month tie-in. This will cost £70 to get out of . (Oh, and dont forget the £30 connection fee)
Also, p2p is throttled during daytime hours.

As a seperate question; how does the community see the once-envisaged future where audio and video on demand was going to be the norm if we already get roasted for downloading a few files!!!?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Re: CPW offer smells too much like a fish not to be a fish!!

As a seperate question; how does the community see the once-envisaged future where audio and video on demand was going to be the norm if we already get roasted for downloading a few files!!!?

I wondered about that too, or is it just people like Dell (building media PC's) and Microsoft etc., talking about it, while ISP's have to work out how to actually provide it?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

free broadband??

This from PC Pro News section -

Demand for Carphone Warehouse's 'free' TalkTalk broadband service has been five times higher then expected, leading to fears that some customers may have to wait before they are connected.

A company spokesman said that 25,000 people had signed up for the £20.99 service, which includes broadband, landline phone calls and line rental.