cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fake virus warning

N/A

fake virus warning

i keep getting messages telling me that i have sent emails to addresses that i have no knowledge of - that the message has been intercepted because it has a virus - worsomefool.d. i have run a virus check - and all my email is checked automatically any way. anybody know whats going on here - have i got a virus that isnt showing when scanned (virus database updated today)?
1 REPLY
Community Veteran

fake virus warning

Yes, you email address is being spoofed by spammers - when they send out email, your email address is being set as the sender so you get any bounced emails back. Spammers tend to use databases/lists of email addresses and will just pick a name at random for a batch of emails being sent out.

This is why it is very difficult to trace the spammers and virus writers and why this kind of message should always be deleted and never bounce because they just get bounced back to people that did not originally send them.

What I do recommend you do is make sure you scan your system with several virus scanners, trojan scanners and spyware scanners. See General: Essential Security software for links to some online scanners to use on a regular basis. This is because no one anti-virus scanner will be 100% accurate and catch or know about all virues.