Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fake FBI emails w/ viruses

N/A

thought i'd share one of many interesting emails i just recieved

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Downloading of Movies, MP3s and Software is illegal and punishable by law.

We hereby inform you that your computer was scanned under the IP 172.172.45.198 . The
contents of your computer were confiscated as an evidence, and you will be indicated.
In the next days, you'll get the charge in writing.
In the Reference code: #15942, are all files, that we found on your computer.

The sender address of this mail was masked, to protect us against mail bombs.

- You get more detailed information by the Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
- Department for "Illegal Internet Downloads", Room 7350
- 935 Pennsylvania Avenue
- Washington, DC 20535, USA
- (202) 324-3000

interestingly the ip address is not mine (obviously not a plusnet ip) but an AOL ip. along with the email came an attatchment (supposedly a list of the contents of my computer) that ZoneAlarm promptly quarantined. been getting a lot of these recently. oo - just found http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=603668 with info on it

now i'm just rambling so i'll stop
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Thanks for pointing this out!

Besides, who could interpret that awfully written mail as coming from an authority such as the FBI?

Thomas
N/A

If the FBI wanted to scare you like that, it would have been via an official means.

IE, they will have gained access to your address records from your ISP using a the courts, and then sent your a postal message.

I very strongly doubt they will have used there own letter heard, but passed your details to the british forces like they tend to do on most of these style cases these days.

There is no way to determine your e-mail address from an IP address. PlusNet do provide rDNS that for the knowing, should give you an e-mail address you can contact.

However, for the mass majority of ISPs, other than a court order, there is no quick method to gain your e-mail address from a IP.
N/A

Dear Kuglin,
Obviously you've never heard one of Dubya's speeches... Cheesy
Community Veteran

N/A

any idea what the "malware" does? just curious
Community Veteran

Sounds to me like a short name for "Malicious Software" i.e. some code designed to wreck your machine if you were to run it.