cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error message on start up

tonka
Grafter

hi guy's keep getting a error message on start up as so: error loading c:\program~1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll ,had a look on google some saying it's a virus so did a adaware scan and spybot ,also had a housecall scan nothing found,i don't want to delete it manually before i am sure as i have read some people having trouble with internet access after,that's if i could find it manually it's not showing up in the control panel in add and remove program's.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Download "Hijack This", and you can list all your start up programs. You should be able to remove it from the start up list.

Be careful with the program though, only remove this item.

(You should also disable system restore before doing this, or otherwise when you perform any system restoration, you'll simply re-install it)
N/A

Newdot is spyware, some spyware programs get it some dont, you will find the entry for newdot in your program files, it may have an uninstall on it, once I had it, it came with an uninstall, another time it didnt, either use a spyware program to find it, or if all else fails, start up in safe more (press F8 whilst pc is starting) and delete the program folder, restart, and then if your competent enough, look through your registries entries for the newdot entry and delete that also

http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/detail.php?id=1874
tonka
Grafter

Download "Hijack This", and you can list all your start up programs. You should be able to remove it from the start up list.

Be careful with the program though, only remove this item.

(You should also disable system restore before doing this, or otherwise when you perform any system restoration, you'll simply re-install it)

if i downloaded hijack ths and removed it that way what are the chance's of it upsetting my internet connection as i have read some horror story's about it.
N/A

Hi-jack this can back up any changes you make, but you need to tell it that you want to back them up. It's under the options button.

It's a powerful tool, and should be used with care. However if your sure you know what entry is causing the problem, then remove it.

If your not sure, then post the contents on here, and I'll tell you what I feel are the best entries to remove.

But remember to select the back up option, so that should it go pear shaped, which it shoudln't, you can restore it.
tonka
Grafter

where can i find the entries as i can only see it in the system configuration under start up.
Community Veteran

Sorry, I don't understand what your asking? Can you explain a bit more what you can't do or what your looking for?

Have you actually downloaded the program and run it? If so you need to click 'do a system scan only' to show the entries and allow you to select the ones to delete.
tonka
Grafter

sorry not downloaded it yet as i am off to work in half a hour just getting all the info so i can do it tomorrow afternoon,can you tell me which site is best for hijack now.
N/A

Yep, From this site Merijn
tonka
Grafter

cheer's guy's post back tomorrow with how i get on.
tonka
Grafter

hi guy's sorry it's a late post just a follow up on my start up problem,found the solution in microsoft's new antispyware run it found my problem straight away look's quite good as it found one more as well that adaware and spybot didn't pick up,cheer's for the help.