cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mails to non existent mail boxes

N/A

:twisted: A little over a week ago I complained to +Net that I was getting virus infected e-mails which +Net had stripped out the virus - many thanks. However, this was to two e-mail addresses I had only just created and had not published or disclosed to anyone. +Net used the excuse that they could not possibly be the cause of the problem and that I must have a snooper on my system!
It seems to me that it is always someone else's problem and not +Net. Anyway I deleted both mailboxes and guess what? yes you've got it I am still getting e-mails being sent to the deleted mailboxes - now that's what I call magic. Come on +Net sort out your mail server problems.
13 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

All email to @username.plus.com is delivered to your default account if its not caught by a Redirect, Mailing List or Mailbox name on your account. You can create a redirect to blackhole@abuse.plus.com if you don't get any legitimate email on that particular address.
N/A

:twisted:

WHAT!!!!

Any chance of a reply that is both meaningful and helpful? I am complaining virus strewn e-mails from +.Nets servers to non existent e-mail addresses. if you cannot be helpful please do not bother to reply.
csogilvie
Grafter

Perhaps you need to word your question a bit better then...

As far as I can tell you deleted a mailbox, and are still getting emails to it?
N/A

If you can't be nice, then please don't post.

Colins reply was perfectly usful, if you had taken the time to read and understand what is being said.

Whilst you say that a mailbox doesn't exist, it infact does.

The PlusNet setup means that your default mailbox, available on creation of the account, is a capture all address. That affectivly means, e-mail without a specific mailbox, or forward rule, is delivered to the main mailbox.

IE. You have deleted the mailboxes in question, meaning there is no seperate username and password to collect from them. However, any mail addressed to the, is now directed to the main mailbox.
N/A

OK, lets clarify. Colins comment was valid, sorry you didn't understand it.
Now you have deleted the two mailboxes, the emails that would have gone to those mailboxes will now go to your normal default address. In otherwords, anything@upamountain.plus.com will arrive in your inbox. To stop these email arriving at your default inbox, recreate the mailboxes with a redirect to blackhole@abuse.plus.com . The Emails will then dissappear into a special "trash bin" mailbox at PlusNet.
PlusNet have a policy of not giving away Email addresses.
It is possible to have some nasty spyware or malware on your PC that will send the details of any new email inboxes you create on your PC to an outside party.
Virus scanners will not pick up these spyware or malware programmes, although a software firewall should show their activity at least. To detect these spyware or malware programmes, you need to download and run a programme such as Adaware : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Community Veteran

Colins reply was an attempt to be both meaningful and helpful to you. If you did not understand what was said then just say so, there was not need to react the way you have done.

Spammers and virus senders have many different ways to both harvest and guess at email addresses and that is what has happened to you. Neither Plusnet or yourself are likely to be to blame for being added to a virus list and this is just one of the difficulties of the current email system.

Once you have found your way onto a virus list there is very little you can do to stop the virus emails. Plusnet have done all they can by removing the infection and passing the email on to you with a warning of the infection.

Now to explain what Colin said... PlusNets email system allows an unlimited number of email address to be associated to your doman. This means anyname@username.plus.com is a valid email address as far as the mail servers are concerned so it will always be delivered to your account. If you have created named email addresses through Plusnets Email settings page then when email arrives for those email accounts, they are delivered into the named accounts. Any other mail for email addresses you have not setup will be delivered to your default email account. Deleting your named email accounts does not stop the emails from arriving. What now happens is the emails are just delivered to your default mailbox.

To delete mail for specific email addresses, you can setup a redirect for email accounts. Plusnet have a special email account to which you can redirect email called blackhole@abuse.plus.com and any email sent to it will be deleted. So if you want to delete all emails receieved for fred@username.plus.com just setup a redirect for fred to blackhole and those emails will be deleted automatically.

So to sum up, PlusNet cannot stop the virus emails from being delivered to your domain and it is your responsibility to either delete them or redirect them elsewhere.
csogilvie
Grafter

I suppose now might be a good time to mention the Virus Scanning Service
Community Veteran

If you read the first post, it's being used already.
csogilvie
Grafter

It is? I'm obviously missing where it says that...
Community Veteran

Re: e-mails to non existent mail boxes

This bit:
A little over a week ago I complained to +Net that I was getting virus infected e-mails which +Net had stripped out the virus - many thanks.

Well, that's what I think it means.
csogilvie
Grafter

I find it weird you could be getting virus infected emails with the virus stripped out... but that sounds like a different issue than whats being described here.
Community Veteran

Well, lets wait for a more detailed explaination of the problem to stop any further confusion.
TOTKO
Grafter

It's a shame NLP techniques don't work over forums :lol:

I know 'upamountain' personally and appreciate his frustration.

petervaughan's explanation - to my mind - helps the situation significantly. But it's a shame that an email address that you may have wanted to use has to be 'deactivated' because of a group of 'expletives deleted's joy in spreading viruses.

Even though it works, running Adaware or the like is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted isn't it?

But if that's the only way, then ......