cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail Failure Notices - Virus Alert

N/A

Hi - I received 2 e-mail faiure returns from ISPs I didn't recognise as belonging to my e-mail contacts. One was from the Postmaster at Blue Yonder this contained a document_9446.pif (98K) and when scanned by my hotmail virus checker it proved to contain a virus, the person it failed to deliver to was Laurie7@blueyonder.co.uk, the second was from mailerdemon@wmail.atlantic.net this also contained a 100K pif attachment (left unopened) the reason given for the return was <ms@007forever.com> was over its quota. Is there anyone I should notify officially about this as I can't be the onlyperson to have received them? Fortunately I didn't down-load them to read offline.
4 REPLIES
N/A

These are caused by the Sobig.F varient of Sobig.

There is little you can do due to the minefield the virus lays.

First off, the e-mail addresses you have shown are not the people that are infected (they may well be, however, these e-mail where not caused by them).

The virus works by scanning your computer for e-mail addresses.

It then sends a copy of itself to each of these addresses. However, at the same time, it choses one of the addresses from the list to act as the FROM address.

This is what has happened here.

Your e-mail address has been chosen as the FROM address. When the e-mail bouces in error, the error is sent to you.

See THIS thread here for more help and news.
N/A

Virus - Sobig-F - a false "FROM" field

"the From: field in infected emails sent out from pox-ridden PCs. This forged email address is often randomly plucked off the infected computer by the virus"

I would suggest that this answer is so important that a link is posted on the home page.

With skeleton staff this weekend it might save a lot of stress (I was cut of twice after about 4 mins :? ).
N/A

Thank you for your response - I didn't realise it was a 'common' happening. Fortunately my computer appears to have escaped unharmed, I have however alerted some of my friends to be on the lookout for unfamiliar e-mail returns.
N/A

Yet another virus we have only just started to get rid of the blastworm and we get another one. Well aint that great