cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dreamweaver

N/A

dreamweaver

where to start? I originally did a website using dreamweaver and posted it through a former ISP. When I changed to plusnet I had difficulty in changing but eventually with support and the knowledge of the use of the htdocs folder managed to get int on, although when posting updates did not always go smoothly and usually had to drop and drag pages before they would update.
Recently my hard drive crashed and along with it went my website. I put in the isp address etc and did the 'get' and recovered my website. Phew!
However when I viewed it there ware no pictures, just the grey plces where they had been. The pictures are stored in an image folder and I am assuming that this has been missing from the link and by posting individullay have posted each picture on its own? Is this right and please give advice has to how I can get the pistures back?
4 REPLIES
avalon
Grafter

dreamweaver

If the images are in your webspace you should be able to FTP in to your webspace and just download them all. There are instructions here. Though it only mentions uploading in most ftp software it's a two way street, and you can download from the webspace just as easily.

As to their setup in Dreamweaver on your local drive it depends on how you had set your site up on your computer in dreamweaver, but if you placed all the images into the same directory structure and folder names beneath your site index page in dreamweaver as they are on your website that might be all you need to do.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
N/A

dreamweaver

Thankyou so for your reply,
whilst I was waiting for a reply I decided to have a go at moving my images folder staight into the Htdocs folder on the remote site. I did this by dragging them in there and then (PUT) and it has been successful in brining the pictures back to my site on the web.
With this in mind I thought the folders would now be in the right orderr and so then decidede to do a 'get'. I was confident that has it had worked when I 'PUT' , that the images in the htdoc folder would now have placed them in the right order of my 'local' site, so did a 'GET'. It has just finished and I am so dissappointed because it has not worked.
I have since read you reply and I think I have actually done what you are suggesting, what do you think? If you are still there
avalon
Grafter

dreamweaver

Ok I think I know what you've done wrong, (hopefully).

Sorry this is going to be a bit long and not easy reading.

You now have htdocs as the root of your website in the dreamweaver local file tree. I'm guessing your tree in dreamweaver is like this

htdocs folder-------index.htm & other webpages------- images folder with huge jpegs

This is wrong and the cause of your problems when you did the PUT you uploaded a full second copy of your website to a new folder called htdocs. And promptly doubled you webspace usage!

I was able to confirm this by typing

www.fanshawe.plus.com/htdocs/index.htm

into my browser. This is the newly uploaded copy.

Your site should actually exist at www.fanshawe.plus.com/index.htm

and it does, this is your original copy from before your incorrect PUT.

The htdocs is the folder you upload to, but isn't referred to in your web address at all. Your website root should be

WWW.fanshawe.plus.com/

you have it as

www.fanshawe.plus.com/htdocs/

It is only in the ftp setup screen for uploading/downloading (PUT/GET operations) that you should be referring to the htdocs folder in any way at all. In that screen your settings should show

ftp address ftp://ftp.plus.net
folder to store docs in htdocs
login (fanshawe)
pasword (your password)

Have a read through this and the help screens in Dreamweaver and see if you understand what I'm saying. Then make a backup copy of all your site files and them see if you can fix your local settings to remove htdocs references everywhere they shouldn't be.

The easiest way might be to fix the local settings for site root and then fix the file upload screen, then delete all the local files (you did a backup of them didn't you) then do another GET for the whole site.
N/A

dreamweaver

Hi again, I have replaced my local files - and posted them, I hoped that this would get rid of the htdoc folder on the remote site as i beleive from what you said that it is not required there. I am not sure, but i hoped that the local site would replace the remote, however the htdoc is still there so if I delete my local site and then 'GET ' then the htdoc folder will come back again? is this right any clues how to get rid of the htdoc folder from the remote site?