cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dreamweaver and uploading files to my plusnet webspace

N/A

hello

can anybody help a novice who has created a website on dream weaver ... only becuase i have tried the plusnet website wizard and publisher website builder (successfully and uploaded files to the plusnet webspace using FTP) but got bored with their limitations and wants a new challenge.

so my problem is i have built a website in dreamweaver but cant find a way of uploading it to my webspace in plus net. all the deamweaver tutorials talk about hosting the site from your machine as the web server.Huh? but i dont wan thtis.

can anyone help? gratefully recieved

thanks daljit
5 REPLIES
N/A

I am assuming you are using Dreamweaver MX 2004.

In the panel groups on the right hand side of the Dreamweaver window, there is a panel labelled 'Files'.

In the pull down menu immediately below that is a list of 'sites' cretaed in Dreamweaver'. You will need to 'Manage Sites' at the bottom. If you already have a site created, select it and click 'Edit'.

There are a number of 'categories' on the left of the displayed window. 'Local' specifies where the site is stored on your own computer, whilst 'Remote Info' tells Dreamweaver where to put your working site. Select this and the right hand side of the window changes to reflect the settings for 'Remote Info'.

Select FTP from the pull-down menu at the top if it isn't already selected.
Enter ftp.plus.netin the 'FTP host box'.
You should enter htdocs/ in the 'Host directory' box.

Enter your plus.net username in the 'Login' box and your password in the 'Password' box. Check 'Save' if you want the password and login to be remembered.

Now click the 'Test' button, which will check that the server is reachable. You should get a message box declaring that connection was successful.
Click 'OK' and then 'Done' on the 'Manage Sites' window.

Back in the main Dreamweaver window, you should right-click on the name of the site you wish to store in your webspace. A menu will be displayed.

Select 'Synchronize'. A small window will appear. Select 'Entire Site' from the top pull down menu and 'Put...' from the bottom menu. Click Preview. This will upload your site to your webspace.

You can select individual files from your site and just upload them, once you have the site up and running.

Note that the basic webspace doesn't support cgi, php or perl. You need to use you cgi space for that. The login is also different for that. You should get login details by email from Plus.Net when you activate your cgi space. Just substitute those values in the login screen as described above.

There are other more advanced settings that I could go into here, but once you have the site up and running, you can play with them. There is also a facility for a testing server.

Good Luck
N/A

dreamweaver & ftp

hi thank you for your reply.
i got as far as

Select FTP from the pull-down menu at the top if it isn't already selected.
Enter ftp.plus.netin the 'FTP host box'.
You should enter htdocs/ in the 'Host directory' box.

and testing the connection but keep getting the server is not responding and then an FTP error occured - cannot make connection to the host

i have triple checked my connection info and it is right.

thanks Sad
N/A

See if you can connect to ftp.plus.net by entering the following in your web browser, or just click on the link in this post, which will open a web browser window for you:

ftp://ftp.plus.net

You should get a login window displayed where you manually enter your login and password. Following a successful login you should get a folder called 'htdocs' displayed.

If you don't get the login window, then there is something weird about your connection. However, as you can login to the plus.net portal and make entries on this forum, I don't think that is the problem. Are you sure your login and/or password are correct. They should be the same as the ones you use to login to the plus.net portal.
N/A

thanks making those adjustment still gave me the error

remote host could not be found

however after completing the following step

There are a number of 'categories' on the left of the displayed window. 'Local' specifies where the site is stored on your own computer, whilst 'Remote Info' tells Dreamweaver where to put your working site. Select this and the right hand side of the window changes to reflect the settings for 'Remote Info'.

you allso need to go to the testing server options an the list and make the same changes thier.

ftp:plus.net worked just fine.

thank you very much for your help.
N/A

Glad to help. Good luck with Dreamweaver.