cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do i need a mail server ??

N/A

i hope someone might be able to help with this.

I have a small net work 3 PCs, each has two users (he same)
What i am trying to set up is so that either user can log on to any PC an collect their email. I want the email held in a central place so that we dont end up with email spread over three machines.

Can anyone suggest any way to do this?

TIA
Rod
10 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Rod,

Hmm, interesting situation. You can either use imap on plusnet which basically holds the emails etc on plusnets servers and you can sort there etc.
Or you could perhaps setup a mail server using imap locally.

Failing this you are looking at setting up a active directory style setup with mail server and dns aswell which if you are fearful about can cause you many a headaches.

Why not look into the imap solution and plusnet servers? That would really be your best bet and the easiest by far.

Regards,
N/A

I am not sure about all these things but I have read that The Bat handles email over a network very well. Full info here.

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/
N/A

Bob,

The OP asked for a solution in which to have the emails stored in a central location within the network or otherwise. The obtaining emails over a network is pretty easy as outlook seems to handle perfectly for me and keiro mail is a sweet mail server too.

What the OP is trying to do and is asking is this,

If mail is downloaded on PC1 it is then also available for viewing on PC2 and PC3 at the same time.

so you can do this by either using IMAP on plusnets servers, meaning all emails are saved and stored and organised on the mail servers on plusnets end. Or you can have a server locally using active directory etc.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks Tom, nice explanation cheers ;-)
N/A

Get a free mail server from

http://www.software602.com/download/

This will do all you want
N/A

mwright,

Sounds like a nice bit of software that. Smiley. I guess its up to the OP to decide which would be the best way forward for themselves Smiley

Regards,
N/A

Thanks for the input guys.
That free 602 server sounds worth a try though It looks pretty complicated to install.

Rod
N/A

Rod,

There is something call mail enable also. The free version doesnt have as many features as most but its free all the same.
But you need a domain name pointing to your server at home etc for everything to work ( as im sure you know ).

If you fancy a look its "MailEnable Standard" that you want.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks for the info, Mailenable looks like it might be a bit easier than the other one.

Rod
N/A

No problems at all.

Any more questions or problems just nip back and im ure someone will be able to help out. Smiley

Regards,