Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dns and mail from our server

Patch
Grafter

Hi,

We run our own mail server, and I would like to us it to send mail direct, without going through plus net's mail server.

I seem to remember seeing on here before that we need to make some "reverse dns" changes, but can't find anything now.

Is this true, and if so is it something we can do ourselves?

Thanks

Patch
5 REPLIES
N/A

Mail and DNS

Hmm, i can solve your problem for you with a little more information, i host my own mail server and i don't use plusnet at all. Do you have an Instant Messenger i can contact you on? (send me a personal message if so...)

RDns changes aren't relevant for you're mail server to operate although they look more official.

Are you trying to use it for @plus.net address's? or you're own personal domain? the second is better.
Patch
Grafter

Hi,

No I don't have an instant messenger I'm afraid.

We have our own domain name, and are running Mdaemon (from www.altn.com), and I notice that there is a setting to send mail direct to recipients, or to send it through plus net's mail server.

I tried this setting but noticed that mail sent to btinternet accounts (for example) get filtered into the recipients bulk folder. I have checked on DNS stuff and our ip is not listed in any black lists as far as I can tell.

I just wondered if this was a problem with DNS, or if it is another issue.

thanks

Patch
N/A

Hmm it could be, are you running your own DNS server? if so you can use SPF records to define what servers are authorised to send e-mails..

what is your domain name? and any ip addresses i will look around and see what i can work out.
Patch
Grafter

Hi,

No, we don't run our own DNS servers, and our domain name wrenmedia.co.uk is hosted with plus net. I have just quickly looked up spf and I guess that might be part of the problem.

Do I need to contact customer support to set this up for our account? Or is it something we can do ourselves?

Patch
N/A

Unforantley due to the fact your DNS is with plusnet you can't setup SPF i have already queried it and they have said they don't support it at the moment so you're only option would be to transfer your domain to another host, i have my own DNS servers if you can wrestle your domain free from plusnet i can provide you with DNS hosting and set up appopriate SPF recorsds while still pointing your e-mails and website if you wish to your own server (MX and A Records).