cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dialer virus/trojans

N/A

dialer virus/trojans

appologies if this subject has been discussed, but i couldn't find the answer anywhere. i am a nooby to adsl and wanted to know if dialer virus/trojans which change your dial up to a premium rate number affect adsl. if so can anyone tell me what measures you take to safegaurd your systems. i already run norton virus and firewall, adaware and spybot, and have recently installed a router that performs nat, spi and firewall protection. thaks for your time. Smiley
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

dialer virus/trojans

They could possibly effect you but only if you still have the dial up modem active in your machine.
If yourPC can only use ADSL for connecting to the net then there is nothing to worry about.
Community Veteran

dialer virus/trojans

As you never actually dial any numbers with ADSL then they cannot effect you. However, if you still have your old 56K modem connected, it's possible they could change your default connection to your modem and dial the premium rate number.

If you never have your 56K modem connected they cannot dial out.

I think you know what to do with your 56k modem cable now, don't you Wink
N/A

dialer virus/trojans

thanks fotr the very prompt reply. the first thing i did when i connected my adsl was to remove the telephone cable from the computer. since being on adsl i have carried out a clean reinstal as well and didn't install the drivers for the moden, and have also disabled the modem from the device manager. i take it with these precautions that i should be fairly safe.
thanks again.
Community Veteran

dialer virus/trojans

Yep you can't do much more.
If it manages to dial out now then you should patent it as a wireless, driverless modem. Cheesy