cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

de-activated

N/A

de-activated

argh my account has been de-activated, i told +net that it could paid this friday. they said they would hold out and re-aply, and so i thought, oh hw nice of them Smiley, today i check my mail and find, "your account has been de-activated"
humph, oh well ill ave to wait untill +net take the payment again wont i.

marc
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

de-activated

PlusNet's automated billing system attempts to bill every evening, if it fails it automatically disables the account. While this is good to get the majority of people to pay up who may have simply forgot it doesn't really allow for flexability.

Chris
N/A

de-activated

ah thisnwould explain then. humph, looks like im waiting then.

marc
N/A

de-activated

So going by that definition every time there is an outage of service you would be entitled to withhold part/all payment untill the service is re-instated.
N/A

de-activated

Officialy, no.

While you are mainly paying for the internet connection, you are contracted to pay for the services like fax-2-email, webspace, domains, games and the rest of it.

Provided these are still accessable in some form, +Net are still providing you with the contracted server, be it in part or full.

While that may seem rather harsh, the same can be said for 12 month Home Highway contracts. Be it that you have had the service removed, and are no longer using it, you still have to pay the remaining term of the contract.
N/A

de-activated

well atleast im only on the one month contract thingy so im not tied in to pay em for a year. (phew)

oh well, should be sorted by tomorow, will keep you posted

cheers

marc
N/A

de-activated

Well whe u have outages etc (i had 3 other evening) +nets service staus was not showing anything (and this is not the first time it has happened) maybe we should ask the goverment that when an isp goes down the down time should be applied to peoples accounts so that payment goes out later (exact same time the isp was down for that particular month) or force the isp to recompensate the customer for the downtime it was unable to supply the customer with the service they have paid for without prior warning after all it is'nt the consumers fault if something goes wrong and they cant access the service they have paid for is it?
N/A

de-activated

I am afraid that is the nature of the DSL technology. There is no gurentee in a connection

I can tell you right now, I have not suffered any outage this evening. At this time, my uptime stands at 20:18:58 at this time, which is when I turned my router on after a power cut.

Before this, it stood at around 84 hours.

In most cases, it is the customers equipment that is to blame with disconnections.

In other cases, it is simply losing sync with the exchange due to issues.

There is nothing ont he +Net side fo things, that can cause these didconnections. Only a loss of traffic (though you will remain connected).
N/A

de-activated

My record is 4 days connected.
N/A

de-activated

While not trying to have a uptime competition, I have seen my rotuer stand at 208 hours (or somwhere in that region).

This was on a passing glance while making port forward changes, and will have been higher seeing as I didn't need to reboot.

I aint got a clue how many days that is (8.5 exactly on a calculator, just itching to look Tongue ).

I don't often look at the uptime values, as I know anytime I need my connection is there.

The secret is to choose quality connection equipment, and know your settings.

I don't mean to say yours is not quality, but there are certain factors you need to be aware of.

1: USB and PCI modems draw CPU for there operation. This could be used elswhere for other reasons.

At the same time, you could be using it when your modem should be, meaning less processing time to keep the connection active.

2: USB modems are power hogs. Fluctuation in this power will result in connection loss, and in some cases, render your connection usless without a reboot.

Again, this power could be used elsewhere.

3: Research the connection chipset.

Connexant are known for there issues, as you see many people reporting around the boards. Many people have little or no issue with them, but many hardcore users do.

Connexant are a OEM maker. In otherwords, they sell there ADSL chips to other companies to put in there products, to make them a ADSL modem.

Find out these details, and research other modems with the same chip and look for issues.

4: Standalone devices are 100% seperate, and impose 0% burden on your system resources. This means Routers. Some routers also have USB built in, these are still stand alone, it just creates a virtual network card for your system to use as a connection point.

5: Look to the future

PCI and USB modems are for single systems. While you can share a internet connection via this, it is a pain to setup on each new system.

Routers can be as simple as pluggin a single cable into the network socket. Details are obtained, and your system can be on the internet in the time it takes to get from behind the system and back into the chair (Even less usualy).

Even if you only intend for one system to be connected, it is a unit for the future and a robust connection device.

These simple checks and thoguhts are things every person can and should do.
N/A

de-activated

guys
as one it tech to another dont tell me how to suck eggs and i wont do the same ok Smiley my router is more than adequate the settings are correct throughtout Smiley the adsl was disconnected not from our end but +nets maybe +net should seek comp from BT for them to pass onto +nets customers for work they are doing without prior notificationHuh
Community Veteran

de-activated

BT don't offer compensation for this to the ISPs, it is built into thier contract as it is also built into your contract with PlusNet.

ADSL is not a permenant connection and is not advertised as such.

Chris
N/A

de-activated

ADSL is not a permenant connection and is not advertised as such.

Chris

Have to differ on this one, wherever you see ADSL advertised it's always as a 24/7 connection. Nowhere on any ads for ADSL does it mention any downtime, all providers are guilty of this not just +net.

Only when/if you read the t&c's is there any mention of any downtime with the usual disclaimers.
Community Veteran

de-activated

ADSL is not a perminent connection. It is advertised as Always on and there is a subtle difference here in that the always on means providing you have a connection available and not that your connection will be always there.
Community Veteran

de-activated

John has put it quite nicely.

The requirements for brodband include it as being an Always On connection not permenant, yes it is probably not the best choice of wordings and may well confuse people, but they do need to read the T+Cs fully before signing up.
The wording of always on is a widely accepted word used by more or less all brodband providers and providers of 'always on' unmetered access.

Chris