cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

could any one recomend a good web page building programe

N/A

Hi all just woundeing if some one could recomend a good web page building programe i use web page maker its ok but it does not do everything that i need. I would need something that has a built in ftp and can build photo galaries put downloads on pages and understands html i have frount page but i dont like it even though it does everything i need any coments would be great thanks all
gareth
13 REPLIES
N/A

From what I see on the net, most people say that the Macromedia MX / Dreamweaver suite are very good.
LiamM
Grafter

Dreamweaver MX for sure... though if you're planning to be legal (like you should... obviously) it's fairly expensive.

Can download a 30 day trial from www.macromedia.com - tis quite hard to get used to but you must persevere because it's a very powerful bit of kit and you'll soon get used to it!

My site, www.rockreview.co.uk was built and coded almost entirely in Dreamweaver.
N/A

Hi
have tried both Frontpage & Dreamweaver. Found Frontpage easier to use, it has some web templates, and themes built in.
Why not try +nets Website builder to start with. Tongue
Community Veteran

One thing to be careful with that really affects FrontPage, and also Dreamweaver to a lesser extent, is the issue or cross-browser compatibility. FrontPage, being made by Microsoft, thinks the whole world uses IE - which means your site may have some real problems when viewed by people with different browsers. DW also suffers from this problem, but not so severely... whereas FP actually uses MS-only code (i.e. code that browsers such as Mozilla haven't a clue about), DW uses "proper" HTML, but with some elements that other browsers get a little confused over.

So, basically what I'm saying, is that you should go with DW - but none of them are perfect. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Thanks for all of your help on this one iam pleased that some one told me about the code.Liam your site is great i like the layout its great . idownloaded a macromedia product called contribute its the new one in tryed that one found it a little bit hard saying that dream weaver is comeing out highest soi for is there any version to go for and as long as its easy to upload to ftp should be ok thanks all
gareth
Community Veteran

To get he best out of dreamweaver, you do need a very good grounding in HTML code so I suggest you start learning that via online manuals and books. Dreamweaver is more commercial grade than hobby for website design so can be difficult to get to grasps with if you don't know the basics of HTML and web page design. There are loads of freebe/shareware HTML editors and website design packages around which may be a good starting point. Just search on the many filesharing/shareware websites. One good one is coffecup but there are many others.

It also won't give you an online gallery, which I believe was one of your requirements - no webpage design software will. You will either have to develop that your self, or download one of the many php/cgi based gallery apps that you can install and run on your CGI webspace - just do a search on this forum for gallery to find thrads by customers who have already done this.

SO to sum up - start simply and build your HTML and webpage design knowledge then once you are confident, start using packages like dreamweaver (if you can afford it) or look for several other cheaper options.
LiamM
Grafter

Contribute is very good for editing pages that you have already built using Dreamweaver. We use that to edit the Festival & Tours listing aspects of my site, the rest of it is dynamically database powered with a MySQL database.

Glad that you like the site. I am fairly proud of it what with being only 17 and already being invited to album premieres and stuff it's cool!!
N/A

Well i used a program called Xara Webstyle 4.0 for my site www.bootlegsandbsides.co.uk

Very very easy to use Smiley
N/A

web page creation.

Have had a bit of difficulty using FTP for the +net web space. So I have just used the website builder thats provided on site. The biggest gripe with that is that you cannot enter any html text through it, or am I mistaken?
Could anyone tell me if it is possible after creating 6 pages on my site with the basic website builder, to use an FTP program to add to it now? If so what dir do I use, as HTDOCS don't show up for me..........? See my site here

tintak[/url=http://www.samfu.plus.com] :?:
N/A

Excellent pics
N/A

Hi
You will find an FTP programme, in the file vault (portal), "WSFTP LE" is free and works
N/A

Thanks yours comments my pictures........and the FTP prog, but I am finding that plusnet, does'nt seem to accept my upload yet, I am using all the correct login and password.......so what else can only think that it needs a directory name? Can you help please.
tintak.......
N/A

Use the FTP prog. to upload to HTDOCS-sub-diectory
the first page of your web site should be called index.html (or htm)

you can find the information at members centre > website settings

Cheers