cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot log on to websites..(page cannot be displayed error)

N/A

Help.... i am running windows xp home edition...when i connect with my binatone modem my modem connects to my isp...at 576kbps....when i run internet explorer i get a "page cannot be displayed message"...my modem and isp is ok because i can use it om my laptop using windows me....so the modem and connection is ok...i have disabled my internal modem..disabled my fire wall..also norton...i can ping my dns server and get a ok result..but i cannot ping other web address it gets timed out...i have been through the xp help and support guide with no result...i have also recently loaded windows xp service pack 1a..and reloaded it...still no result..i have been through inter options and also propperties on internet explorer...im i missing something? can anyone help?......
16 REPLIES
N/A

Can you confirm you can't visit "http://www.google.com" but it does work if you visit "http://216.239.53.99"?

If yes, then it means that your DNS settings are incorrect. To view them :
[list=1]
  • Click "Start"
  • Click "Run"
  • Type in "cmd"
  • In the window that appears type "ipconfig /all"[/listShocked]

The dns servers should be set to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50. If not, you can change them by doing the following :

[list=1]
  • Click "Start"
  • Click "Control Panel"
  • Double-click "Network Connections"
  • Double-click your network connection
  • In the window that pops up click "Properties"
  • Choose "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list and click "Properties"
  • Change the dot from "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" to "Use The Following DNS Server Addresses"
  • Enter "212.159.13.49" into the first box, and in the second box enter "212.159.13.50"[/listShocked]
  • N/A

Hi Folks,

I "lost" Google about a week ago, but didn't think too much of it, assuming it was just a one-day "blip".

However, have not been able to connect since (get a Cpanel page telling me there's no such address), but having just read your suggestion, using the IP address works fine?!!

Checked DNS settings and they're correct (haven't had any cause to change them). Only thing different is that I added a soundblaster 5.1 live card last week and needed to juggle PCI slots to make it work. (This meant moving my ADSL PCI modem aswell.)

I've tried connecting with analogue modem but "Google" still eludes me?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks and best regards :?
    N/A

It's a shame to see that you havn't had a response yet!

I've got the same problem with not being able to view pages...I've been given the same advice regarding the DNS settings, mine too were fine...lets hope someone could get back to us and let us know what to do next!

cheers
    Community Veteran

Please bear in mind that this is not officially the place to report faults and an answer here from plusnet staff cannot be guaranteed.
    If you are having problems then the official channel is to use the link:Contact Us system and raise a ticket. This way you are assured of getting a reply.
    N/A

Ok, thanks for that Cheesy

I'm new to all of this!
    N/A

It hasn't been established whether you can access remote hosts at all; simply that you aren't able to display web pages from remote hosts.

What happens if you try to ping www.bbc.co.uk? Do you get any response?
    If that doesn't work, what about ping 212.58.224.112?

If that doesn't work, what about ping 212.159.13.50?
    N/A

I get a response from ping 212.58.224.112 and 212.159.13.50
    That seems fine.

I'm afraid I don't really understand what could be causing this!

Here is what someone else suggested trying:
    The fact you can PING 194.168.4.100 means you do have an ip connection to the iNet.

Another test: http://66.102.11.99 should take you to google.

Quick Lesson: DNS is a Domain Name Service to resolve numbers (IP address) into names (www.google.com), thats all it does, nothing special, nothing complex thats all it does just because we cant remember numbers very well.

try removing the dns details. Then just adding one dns address, for example 194.168.4.100

If that works then the original dns details you have are wrong or your barred from using them. Check back with isp. Also make sure your not configured to use a proxy server in IE. (tools -> Internet Options -> Connection -> lan settings. Make sure unchecked.)

I understand what DNS is now, at last Shockedops:
    But as you say cannot actually access remote hosts.
    N/A

What the person said is right, but the normal use of DNS is to do the opposite -- to resolve from names to numbers (eg from "www.google.com" to 216.239.59.99).

So, you can ping 212.159.13.50. Which, as the person says, means you have basic Internet connectivity.

What happens if you enter http://216.239.59.99 in the location bar of your browser?

If this works, but http://www.google.com does not, it does strongly suggest your DNS settings are not correct.
    Community Veteran

There was a virusy type thing that added a line to your hosts file to redirect hits to www.google.com to another host.

That host has since been shut down, so you may have been affected by this.

find your 'hosts' file, (somewhere like C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS) open it in Notepad, and check to see if you have any lines with 'www.google.com' in them - if so, remove those lines.

Barry
    N/A

What happens if you enter http://216.239.59.99 in the location bar of your browser?

If this works, but http://www.google.com does not, it does strongly suggest your DNS settings are not correct.

entering either does not display a page I'm afraid.
    N/A

Please can you verify the following.

In Internet Explorer, goto Tools -> Options -> Connections.

Click on each of the dial-up entries, then settings.

For each one, you should confirm that no Proxy servers are entered, that "use proxy server" is unticked and that the auto-configuration is unticked.

After doing each of these, check the same thing under "LAN Settings".

Does it work now?

Another thing, you didn't make it clear if your are on Windows XP.

If you are, click Start -> Run and enter "cmd".

After clicking OK, type "nslookup ukshells.co.uk" (example domain that I doubt you would have had to get a DNS request on).

As noted, a sucesful ping request means that your connection is fine and points towards an Internet Explorer issue.

The above help might (in most past cases it has) you, but if not, i can only sugest using an alternate browser.
    N/A

I've tried a few of these things, I'll double check the settings and let you know.

Yes, I'm using Win XP Pro by the way

Thanks for your support Smiley
    N/A

Well, I've checked all the settings as you suggested and all is fine there.

It must be an Internet Explorer problem, not sure how I would use an alternative browser!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but a few weeks back I was connected via cable modem to broadband with the Telewest service, (and then moved house and signed up with Plusnet) Would this of changed any settings?
    I was using a Motorola surfboard external modem via the ethernet port.

I think I may have to contact support, as I feel if I set up a network between the two pc's it still would have the same problem of viewing web pages from the "dodgy" pc.

Cheers for the help so far! Cheesy
    N/A

I've left a ticket with support, hope they can work it out. Cheesy