Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

call failed

kenny
Grafter

call failed

Hi,

Have you forwarded the port (normally just 5060 but you may need UDP 3478 - STUN, UDP 5060 - SIP, UDP 8000 - Xlite RTP, UDP 8001 - Xlite RTP) on your firewall and router?

I give up, cannot do! tried for weeks to sort it out
22 REPLIES
kenny
Grafter

call failed

I`m trying to use/config X-Lite

I`m getting a Call failed: Request Timeout
any ideas anyone.

I`ve never been able to use this phone software
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

call failed

Are you by any chance using Windows Vista, I believe X-lite might not work on that OS?

David
David
kenny
Grafter

call failed

Are you by any chance using Windows Vista, I believe X-lite might not work on that OS?

No normal XP Home
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

call failed

Hi,

Have you forwarded the port (normally just 5060 but you may need UDP 3478 - STUN, UDP 5060 - SIP, UDP 8000 - Xlite RTP, UDP 8001 - Xlite RTP) on your firewall and router?
N/A

call failed

Get a speedtouch 716wl v5 or a 780wl router and join the big boys No leaving the computer on to make calls you can even plug in a normal telephone to use with it. Quality is excellent the router has 4 ports wireless and voip connection and is adsl 2+ and it wont break the bank

Michael
ps not skype
kenny
Grafter

call failed

Get a speedtouch 716wl v5 or a 780wl router and join the big boys No leaving the computer on to make calls you can even plug in a normal telephone to use with it. Quality is excellent the router has 4 ports wireless and voip connection and is adsl 2+ and it wont break the bank

Michael
ps not skype

well I have been looking at these, I`m still using the Free `Voyager 205 ADSL Router` I got when I signed up. Its doing my head in just trying to make phone calls via broadband using X-Lite I cannot do it!!
Pendragon
Rising Star

call failed

I have X-Lite 3 set up and it seems to work fine, running it with XP SP2.

Some things you might like to have a look at just in case.
If you used the set up instructions from Force 9 help pages to set up the phone then you should ignore the last picture on the page and only use the one above for the settings.

If you have a software firewall like Zone Alarm of some Internet Security suite then you will need to add the x-lite.exe file to the trusted list and allow it to act as both a sender and a server (it has to receive calls). If you also have the Windows Firewall turned on you will also have to add it to its’ trusted list as the firewall will block the incoming connections.

Lastly you may also need to right click the phone and select options from the pop up list. Select ‘Devices’ and check what devices X-Lite has selected as your mike and speakers. I use a USB handset and had to select this from the drop down lists so X-Lite would use it.

Don’t give up it does work just is a bit of a pain to get it so.

Regards, Colin.
kenny
Grafter

call failed

Some things you might like to have a look at just in case.
If you used the set up instructions from Force 9 help pages to set up the phone then you should ignore the last picture on the page and only use the one above for the settings.

If you have a software firewall like Zone Alarm of some Internet Security suite then you will need to add the x-lite.exe file to the trusted list and allow it to act as both a sender and a server (it has to receive calls). If you also have the Windows Firewall turned on you will also have to add it to its’ trusted list as the firewall will block the incoming connections.

Lastly you may also need to right click the phone and select options from the pop up list. Select ‘Devices’ and check what devices X-Lite has selected as your mike and speakers. I use a USB handset and had to select this from the drop down lists so X-Lite would use it.

Regards, Colin.

OK I have the same Opp` sys and yes use Zone alarm, I`ll do as you say and try again. Thanks
kenny
Grafter

call failed

snip

Regards, Colin.

OK I have the same Opp` sys and yes use Zone alarm, I`ll do as you say and try again. Thanks

well tried what you said but getting same original error I`ve been getting all the time. I`ve even turned my Firewall off (I know should not really) to test still the same
Superuser
Superuser

call failed

@bigkenny

Have you tried uninstalling X-Lite, restarting your computer then (preferably having downloaded a fresh copy for your OS) reinstalling and reconfiguring it?

This is rather clutching at straws but I can't think of anything more constructive to suggest.
David
kenny
Grafter

call failed

@bigkenny

Have you tried uninstalling X-Lite, restarting your computer then (preferably having downloaded a fresh copy for your OS) reinstalling and reconfiguring it?

This is rather clutching at straws but I can't think of anything more constructive to suggest.

well i`ve uninstalled x-lite but the OS no, dont fancy doing that just for this. I`ll leave well alone!
Superuser
Superuser

call failed

Hi bigkenny,

I didn't intend you to touch the Windows XP operating system. Just download another copy of the X-Lite installation program, obviously choosing the version for Windows. Then reinstall X-Lite using the new copy, and configure it.

Do you use a download manager rather than the standard browser download? I have known a corrupt file to result from using a download manager.

Regards

David
David
kenny
Grafter

call failed

Hi bigkenny,

I didn't intend you to touch the Windows XP operating system. Just download another copy of the X-Lite installation program, obviously choosing the version for Windows. Then reinstall X-Lite using the new copy, and configure it.

Do you use a download manager rather than the standard browser download? I have known a corrupt file to result from using a download manager.

Regards

David

yes I`ve downloaded new files (tried about 3 times over last 6 months or so) I just downloaded using I.E. but still no good same problem.
Pendragon
Rising Star

call failed

OK, this is where it could get a bit complicated but please hang in there. You can try this if you wish.

First start the softphone and note if the screen says ‘Ready’ and displays ‘Your user name is: <a six digit number here>’.
If it does then the service is connected OK and you just need to find why the call is failing. To do this you will need to turn on the diagnostics in the phone.

So right click on the screen of the phone and select ‘Options’, when the options screen opens look at the bottom of the left hand side and you will see an [Advanced] button.
Click the button to open the advanced section of the options.
At the bottom of the list you will see a Diagnostics icon, click this to open the diagnostics screen, click the box to ‘Enable diagnostic logging’ and click the radio button ‘Minimal’, click [Apply] and [OK] to exit the screens.

Try making a call. The phone will now make a diagnostic log file that you can study yourself to see if it gives any help or you can send it to Counterpath to see if they will help you.

Please don’t post it on the forum as a) they can be very big and b) we may not be able to solve the problem. If you do notice a section with a definite error message then you could copy and paste just that bit up to see if anyone has any ideas.

That’s about it really, sorry I can’t help you more, regards Colin.