cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking internet acces for a particular user

N/A

i would like to know if it is possible to block internet access to 1 particular user, i currently have windows xp and there are two users , i am the administrator user and i would like to block internet acces completely for 1 user is this possible?
16 REPLIES
N/A

I'm not aware on any method within windows itself, or at least not without extra software but that's not to say it can't be done.

Aaron
N/A

I suppose you could explicitly deny them the "read & execute" attribute. Right-click iexplore.exe, select Properties, go to the Security Tab. Select the Username of the person you want to stop Internet access and click in the Deny box adjacent to "Read & Execute", and click OK. Be careful! Just an idea.
Community Veteran

You would have to do that for every application. What's to stop them FTPing mozilla and installing it or installing other software from CD.

I'm not aware of a way to restrict certain users from internet access via a Windows setting. One possible option is to use the ZoneAlarm software firewall. You then password protect it and engage the internet lock by default. This should stop all internet activity. Then when you login you can enter the password and disable the lock and browse.

I have not tried the above but it may be a solution. You will need to remember to engage the lock before you logout which may mean it's not foolproof.
N/A

If the second user is a restricted user, as naeem786 implies, can they actually install software? I don't think so.

An alternative:

is it possible to assign a Hardware Profile to individual users in XP? If so, you simply disable the modem and/or ethernet port! Job done!!
N/A

Restricted (Limited) Users also cannot create an Internet connection, so just associate the Internet connection with the Administrator account!
N/A

Even if only admin user can create internet connections, it's no good if the internet connection is made via a lan (router) and I don't think you can lock out another user from accessing the internet connection.

As for hardware profiles, again I don't think you can restrict these by user.

You need a specific program to perform this task, and lock out the internet connection. Various firewalls, including zone alarm as previously described by Peter, could perform this task but as Peter had already said, it's not foolproof.

Aaron
N/A

Well, my original idea seems to work. We have (not extensively) tested this hypothesis on a PC here at work. We have prevented the Limited User Read & Execute access to iexplore.exe and they cannot install applications, so surely it should work!
N/A

Yes but it also depends on the version on XP, I'm pretty sure XP Home doesn't have a security option.

In addition, it doesn't stop e-mail or any other internet enabled application. You'd have to search for every internet enabled application and restricted them :roll:

Aaron
N/A

Even so, if the second user is a restricted user, then they haven't installed any applications. naeem786, the admin user, has only installed any applications and therefore knows which they are, and even if there are 10 such applications installed, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to restrict access to them.

I stand by my solution. Wink

Edit: In XP Home Edition, if you log on as Administrator via Safe Mode, you get the Security Tab. In fact you can log on with any account with Administrator rights.
N/A

Edit: In XP Home Edition, if you log on as Administrator via Safe Mode, you get the Security Tab. In fact you can log on with any account with Administrator rights.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm not saying your wrong. I have Pc's at home with both Pro and Home, and I don't recall ever seeing the security tab within home. Only in Pro.

However if what you say is correct and naeem786 is prepared to search out, every application which connects to the net, then yes I suppose it could work. I'm sure there must be a bit of software out there, that provides a better fit to this problem.

Aaron
N/A

Indeed, I was just trying to save naeem786 some money. An application called "Security Administrator" would do the trick, I think.

http://www.softheap.com/secagent.html
Community Veteran

Forget all the security settings and software there is a simple and totaly cost free way of doing this. Cheesy
It's known as a cable.
Just take the cable between the PC and the internet connection with you when you leave the PC.
That will definately stop anyone else using it if the cables in your pocket. Cool
Community Veteran

Unless you have an old 56K modem cable which can be used instead Wink

So make sure none of them exist either. It still involves actually remembering to do so so again is not totally foolproof. Nice simple idea though.
N/A

thanks

thank you 4 your replies every1 i will try your solutions out